Nouveau Sceptre

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

PenWorks

When I saw David Broadwell at the LA Pen show, I promised him I would try one of his kits he designed for Penn State. Well in their new catalog, they have some specials, buy the kit and get the accessory kits for free, includes drill bits (not good ones) bushings, and barrel trim bushings. So not a bad deal, good time to try one, well three. :) Also in today's mail was some mighty fine rosewood burl I bought from Gary Max.

Not my cup of tea for a pen, but they thread very well, plating was good, as well as the fit of the parts. I'm sure someone will come along and flip for it.

The only thing I found a bit off, was the cap bushing is tapered, and I messured it to be .675 at the cap end, but the bushing messured .648 per their instructions. I always messure my cuts with a mic, but just a note to those that cut B to B, they could under cut the cap real easy. Now maybe I just didn't follow the instructions, but seems odd to undercut the cap.025

Thanks for looking :cool:

Attachments

• nov_3prns.jpg
    nov_3prns.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 525
  • nov_kit.jpg
    nov_kit.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 379
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

I like it. I would carry one of those in a heartbeat, and may just have to order one for myself. I have a feeling that the styling is going to be an "All or Nothing", not a lot of people are going to be neutral on it. As for me, I love that art nouveau feel to it. (of course I like Craftmans / Arts and Crafts furniture so my tastes are eclectic)

Just my .02,

Steve

PenWorks

Your right Steve, There is no middle of the road on this pen. You either like it or not as a consumer. It is different enough from other pens that it might have a market.

ldb2000

Beautiful pens Anthony . They are not my cup of tea though , the CB is too wide and the wierd shape to the nibs on the rollerball just don't look right to me but then my eyes are crooked to start with .

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think I'm with lots of others on this .. great job.. but I'm not neutral on
the kits.

Maybe I'll wait till I see if others start selling them. I can make pens that
I don't like, but I'm not about to buy kits that I don't like AND people don't buy.. :tongue:

GouletPens

I saw the kit in person for the first time last week...it was pretty nice. To me personally, it seems like the rounded design is a little bit overboard. It's like they didn't want to put a single straight part on the kit. It reminds me of those Ford Taurus' when they made almost everything in the car oval shaped. On one hand, it's definitely different, but on the other hand different is not always better!
1999.jpg

workinforwood

Great Job Anthony. I'm in the club that isn't crazy about this pen. I like the fountain nib section and I think the clip really rocks on it, but the roller nib and the finals are not to my taste..especially that roller nib!

gmcnut

Hi all,

I must chime in here about the Taurus. It's a real shame that they discontinued the car. Now future generations will have to find some other symbol that they have given up on life.

Last edited:
S

spiritwoodturner

I saw the kit in person for the first time last week...it was pretty nice. To me personally, it seems like the rounded design is a little bit overboard. It's like they didn't want to put a single straight part on the kit. It reminds me of those Ford Taurus' when they made almost everything in the car oval shaped. On one hand, it's definitely different, but on the other hand different is not always better!
1999.jpg

Dude, your car really ROCKS!!! And don't try to deny it, she's a beauty!

Dale

P.S. Count me in the "Yuck" column on the pen. Not much I liked about it from the first time I saw it. Polarizing is a good term...

PenWorks

Thanks for sharing your comments. I guess if we all had the same taste in pens, everybody's pens would look the same :biggrin:

Sold the Rosewood pen today, so go figure. :eek: .....and he wasn't driving a Taurus :biggrin: He drove away on his Yellow Ducati :wink:

its_virgil

Liked your Nouveau pens. Nice choice of materials. Congrats on the sale....remember those 4 emperors rusting in my case? Sold another one today. Two down...two still rusting.:biggrin::biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks for sharing your comments. I guess if we all had the same taste in pens, everybody's pens would look the same :biggrin:

Sold the Rosewood pen today, so go figure. :eek: .....and he wasn't driving a Taurus :biggrin: He drove away on his Yellow Ducati :wink:

Nickfff

Tony,
They look good-something different. Plus, I think David Broadwell is a really good guy. I especially like the center one. I have made a couple as well and found the taper a little different.

Nick

GouletPens

Just to set the record straight, that is NOT my Taurus....I just yanked it off Google images. Here's MY baby.....I call her Big Red!

Attachments

• PICT0489.jpg
    PICT0489.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 128

Texatdurango

Anthony, What are the two metal tubes for? Are they used for turning the blank before installing the brass tubes? Or does the kit even use brass tubes?

On Edit: Never mind, I just visited PSI's website and had a look around. I believe they are barrell trimmer bushings right?

Last edited:

PenWorks

Yep, those are the actual parts with the accessories kit. Like I said, the drill bits are cheap, but if you don't have good ones the right size, they come in handy and good to have spares. I never used a metal trimmer bushing, I have always made my own out of delrin, but they are nice, and you get their bushings. I bought a couple other ones of their specials as well.

jskeen

I think I could learn to live with most of the kit. I like the FP section and clip, and might be ok with the posting endcap and centerband. I just can't deal with the uptaper to the cap and finial. I might try one with a custom finial and hidden clip ring, or possibly a closed end.

Can the section and posting cap be traded between any other kits, or are the threads for the press in adapters different? I think I might could see that section and posting endcap on a different kit being cool too. Are the tubes the same as any other kits, either psi's or any body elses?

ashaw

Good job as usual on the pens Anthony. Haven't tried it yet. Right now I am keep the parts inventory low stick with what sells right now. I do have a couple of new pens coming out for the Miami and Washington shows.

bitshird

Beautiful work Anthony, I'll bet there is a market for those pens, and I'll probably try one or three, there just won't be one in my personal pen rack.

Top Bottom