Not sure it's all that Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Finally got around to doing my first Platinum El Grande Elite RB in Chechen Burl I got from Dario... You have to get some of this if he still has some.. it is not the cheapest blank, but it is well worth it if you take you time and go slow and THINK... like most burls it has voids, but small ones that can easily be filled with some CA as you go along... like I do on a lot of blanks that might have hidden voids, I painted the tubes with a dark brown sharpie marker.. that way if you get a void that goes all the way through, the brass won't show and it looks more natural.... WORKS FOR ME!!!
Turning this kit is like turning a GIANT slimline pen.. straight lines and not a whole lot of wood left on the tubes... BE CAREFUL ..
Assembly is straight forward and very easy.. no tricks or troubles..
The pen also has a nice filling hand feel and writes very well. The RB refill is first rate...
My biggest complaint...
For the size of the pen it is extremely light weight and because of the lack of weight, in my opinion has a cheap feel.. I think it is because I expect a wooden pen to have a little heft to it and this one just don't got it... I also think the design and plating on the centerband could have used a bit quality control..
However, if you are looking for a large diameter pen for yourself or a customer who has problems using a smaller pen due to arthritis or hand cramping, this is a perfect choice... and the large diameter really does show off the wood nicely...
Pen was sanded to 600 grit, then 2 thinned coats of sanding sealer buffed with 000000 steel wool cloth, a full strength coat of sanding sealer buffed with 000000, followed by 2 thin coats of thick CA, sanded to 8000MM, followed by automotive polishing compound, Hut Plastic Polish and a coat of TSW and Ren wax

200559164939_ElGrandeChechenBurl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Looks pretty nice Tom! Thanks for the advice though; I have 2 El Grande kits sitting at home! On this kit, do you think the platinum is worth the extra money?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jim, If I had not gotten the kits for $5 ea when the guy in Maine went out of business, I doubt I would have bought them... and in the future, with TN Gold kits being $10.50 ea.. I doubt I will buy more unless people really go nuts over them... the Platinums are only $9.50, which makes no sense to me.. For the difference in price on the El Grande Elite for just a fancy centerband, I would probably not get them either.. especially the Black accented centerbands...
But then again, this is just how I see it after making one... I have heard that the FP has one of the best writing nibs in a kit pen... I will have to make one and see...
But I still think the pen has a "cheap" feel in your hand.. it just does not feel "rich" to me, even in the fancy wood... my wife said the same thing when she picked it up...
I guess the best thing to do is make one and see what you think... use a really nice piece of wood (or steal one from me this weekend[:p]) and see how it feels.. worst case scenario you sell to someone if you don't like it...

MDWine

Very nice looking pen, anyway, Tom.

Man, I'll be thinking about you guys this weekend. Our band day is not shaping up very well. We had 5 bands say "yes", and two have backed out. (Never mind about the T-shirts and FOOD we bought, they just pulled out.) What a bunch of stinkers... so, I'll be photographing too few students, when I could be turning and cutting up with you guys... ([:(!] [:(] [:(!] [:(] [:(!] )

It just ain't fair.... boo hoo hoo

coach

Tom,
What document is that you use as the backdrop for your photos? I can never read it on your pics? Inquiring minds want to know! By the way, you may not be crazy about the kit, but your work is as good as usual!

YoYoSpin

Nice job on the pen, and I have to agree with your El Grande "cheap feel" comment completely, Tom. I made about 10 of these kits and don't like the results at all. The newer CS Statesman/Gent kits and AS's Baron are a much better design, IMHO.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Coach, that is 2 pieces of paper that I got in a package to be used for photo backing at the local art store... I just looked at it closely and I can't read what it says.. [:p]

JimGo

Tom,
It actually looks to me like some of either Gallileo's or Michelangelo's writings (now I can't remember which one it was!). Not that I can read it, but I think that's what the handwriting looked like.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />My biggest complaint...
For the size of the pen it is extremely light weight and because of the lack of weight, in my opinion has a cheap feel.. I think it is because I expect a wooden pen to have a little heft to it and this one just don't got it... I also think the design and plating on the centerband could have used a bit quality control.. <br />
What's bothering you is attractive to others. I've learned to ignore my personal preferences and even am making Gentleman and other large pens - of course it depends a little on your market. Personally, I like the EG just BECAUSE of the light weight! Anyway, there's all tastes out there - see how you make out with them :) As for the CBs - not sure what problem you are seeing, I don't like the fact that the black does not wrap around the sides and is visible as a silver edge. That's only an issue with the black versions, not the solid plated oens, of course. Slightly more disconcerting is the fact that the actual edge of the CB is less than the bushing diameter. I suppose I don't really mean the bushing, but the delrin edge next to it, and the wood on he other side if you turn it to the HW diameter. Very sharp edges. Most people would probably not notice or mind :)

rtgleck

Nice work on the Pen Tom. Looks very nice. Also appreciate the comments/opinions about the Kit. Sure help me decide which pens I'm likely to try and which I'm not.

Rudy Vey

Tom,
I do not think that a light pen is also a cheap pen. I personally like the "lightness" of the El Grande quite a bit. The pen has for me a great balance, sizewise and weightwise. One of my colleagues at work owns several original Montblanc pens and pencils and they are also quite light, compared to similar type pen-kit pens we make (Euro style). I wholeheartedly agree with you on the quality of the refill, it really writes very good. BTW, I just made me a new personal pen yesterday, based on the EG, with a one-piece body.

wayneis

Sorry but I also have to disagree with your opinion Tom. This has been one of my biggest sellers to people how like a lighter weight pen with good balance. As for the streight lines, nothing says that you have to turn them that way, I don't. I usually always put a small curve or other twists and turns. I personally thisnk that its a great kit.

Wayne

Daniel

Tom,
You will find a few posts from me about the El Grande. i have the same feel about it. just not enough there for the size of the pen. this is of course a personal opinion and many others love it for the very same reason. liek I said before. I pick it up and start hearing birds.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Rich, Rudy and Wayne... I was not saying that the EG is a CHEAP kit, I was stating that it just feels that way to me and my wife... it writes beautifully and has a nice hand feel.. but for a pen that big it just does not feel substantial (best word I could think of)... I expect to pick it up and feel some heft to it and it just isn't there... now that does not mean that a load of other people are going to feel that way.. and I will make the remaining kits to see how they do at the market... if it were not for the lack of meat remaining on the tubes, I would consider doing one in Axis deer or some other heavy material.. but of course that would mean I could not sell it in Maryland [V][}:)]
My remarks were not meant to denigrate the quality of the kit (other than the black centerband), it is a classy kit... but not my cup of tea to handle and write with... but as I stated for someone with arthritis or hand cramp problems the lightness and size would make it a great pen.

PenWorks

Tom, I am not a real big fan of the El Grande as well. I think CS made some changes to it with the Ligero and came out with a better looking pen kit. Yours came out real nice. But you don't like the Ligero either. [:D] I agree with this kit looking better as a solid body to. One thing to consider about the weight. If a person writes all day (I do) sometimes the pen weight will make a difference. Here is a link to the super light El Grande stream line I made a while back, weighed in at only 14 grams. and was a solid body. I made this for me to use a daily writer.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2377&SearchTerms=super,light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom