Not so good of a day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cherie

Cherie

Made 3 pens today, none of which I am real happy with. The final one which I thought I finally got the nib part to come out right, ended up having a chip or an "air bubble" in the acrylic giving it a white spot that I tried to sand out. To top all this off, the first thing this morning my bench sander went out. So I figure if my glasses come in like they should and I can get out 2morrow, I will sit at the saw instead.

Attachments

• P1160731.jpg
    P1160731.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 342
  • P1160738.jpg
    P1160738.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 331
  • P1160742.jpg
    P1160742.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 317
  • P1160750.jpg
    P1160750.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

You stated that you're not too happy with any of them? Pen number two looks outstanding to me! You've got some beautiful wood there, and put a terrific shine on it. As for the acrylic, did you try to fill the hole with some CA? Sometimes that can "hide" problems in a blank.

I see from your last few posts that you have an affinity for the Euro style pen. Many a pen turner has stumbled on this kit, mostly due to problems making the tenon. I will admit to making a few defective tenons myself. Mastering the Euro makes the rest of the kits seem all the easier in comparison. Perhaps you're being too critical of your own work. I am glad you posted them.

Manny

Cherie,
Next time try cleaning the hole out no dust. Use canned air or something. Fill it with ca glue. Let it dry al
The way. Sand it down and finish. Usually can hid bubbles doing that.

Good luck
Manny

gingerwood

One thing you can try is to fill the little bubble hole with CA, spritz with accelerator and then verrrrrry gently turn it flat and finish normally.

Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the CA pops out of the hole.

Cherie

You stated that you're not too happy with any of them? Pen number two looks outstanding to me! You've got some beautiful wood there, and put a terrific shine on it. As for the acrylic, did you try to fill the hole with some CA? Sometimes that can "hide" problems in a blank.

I see from your last few posts that you have an affinity for the Euro style pen. Many a pen turner has stumbled on this kit, mostly due to problems making the tenon. I will admit to making a few defective tenons myself. Mastering the Euro makes the rest of the kits seem all the easier in comparison. Perhaps you're being too critical of your own work. I am glad you posted them.

Number 2 is an acrylic. LOL

Ambidex

I like the third one too!

Don't worry about the mistakes, that's how we all learn. If you don't make mistakes, that means you're not pushing yourself!

I'm sure most of us have a box of mistakes, I know I sure do! :biggrin:

I know the mistakes I've made in 4 months would fill a box, and I don't mean a SFRB!

Robert111

Hi Cherie. Really like the middle pen. The color, finish, style work well for me. Here's my thoughts on your trio:

Strong Points:

• You created excellent lines for this style by shaping the upper and lower barrels so that their curves flow together and blend with each other.
  • Excellent looking finish.

Possible areas to work on:

• The tip-lower barrel mating seems off on the middle pen. Is your bushing at the tip end worn down? Do you have digital calipers to check bushing size and final diameter of the turned barrels. Only takes a few seconds and makes a big difference in fit. Check eBay for dig. calipers. I think I've seen them for as low as $10.
  • That hole in the third pen is probably a flaw in the blank. Stop turning from time to time to check your turnings for flaws: bubble holes like this and cracks (frequently develop in woods). When you find a flaw, make that tough decision to scrap the piece. While most of these flaws can be filled or otherwise diguised, you (and the buyer) probably will still see it.

Hope this helps.

Jgrden

I think you did fine. I would hate to show you what catastrophe came my way when trying to finish two pine cones.

Top Bottom