Nonphoto tutorial on earrings (disk)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from biednick

biednick

I have decided to explain how i turn disk type earrings, i don't have any photos yet, but this is similar to the tutorial for thin custom finals in the library.

1. mount a rounded cut- off from a pen blank in a chuck of some sort (collet or a wood block with a hole drilled in it and a taper to match your head stock.)

2. True up the blank. This is especially important for the homemade chuck as it may be slightly off center.

3. Use an arching cut to form a slightly domed shape.

4. Sand and finish, then use a thin parting tool to part all the way through the wood. (Or only part way and finish with a hack saw)

5. Lightly sand and finish the back of the disc. Repeat this process to make a pair.

6. Drill a small hole near the edge (careful: its easy to crack the thin wood) and use this hole to attach a earring hook.

Your done! once you get the process down, this take about 10 minutes start to finish. This is the first tutorial I have written, so please critique it. If you have any questions, please post here or pm me and Ill do my best to answer. Ill get photos taken asap and post then here. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Hey, I like this no-photo tutorial! It reminds me of the difference between reading a book and then seeing the same book in a movie. No compairison. The book makes me use my iminageation where the movie forces me to use someone else idea of the book. Great tutorial, I can see it turning on my lathe as we speak. Thank you.
Charles

Charlie, you lucky devil. Your the only person I know who can enter a post by hitting random keys.. The rest of us poor souls have to actually spell words. :biggrin:

Hey, I like this no-photo tutorial! It reminds me of the difference between reading a book and then seeing the same book in a movie. No compairison. The book makes me use my iminageation where the movie forces me to use someone else idea of the book. Great tutorial, I can see it turning on my lathe as we speak. Thank you.
Charles

Top Bottom