Noisy Reeves Drive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

My 46-700 has started being REALLY noisy. I just replaced the pulley sections and it was mostly quiet for a while. But now it rattles and clicks pretty bad.

Nothing appears broken or misaligned, but I haven't really dismantled it yet. Anybody have some guidance (other than "get a new lathe")?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Does the speed lever feel at all sticky or require more force to move? If so, you may want to disassemble, clean, and lubricate the drive. The noise could also be from a worn belt, or bearings. On my lathe, the spindle was over-turned a bit and sloppy on the bearings, I tapped the bearing out a little and it runs truer now.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Check the bearing in the shifting lever bracket, that's the piece in the head between the reeves drive and the housing. That's what is making noise on my Jet 1236.

DurocShark

Thanks guys. I didn't lube the stuff up when I replaced the pulley. It didn't occur to me that I should. Ugh.

The belt is old and probably stiff. So Lots of lube, a new belt, and tighten stuff up. Got it.

I'll take pics. :D

DurocShark

I took it apart last night. Forgot to take pics, sorry. I haven't put the cover back on so I'll at least take some diagramming pics later.

Here's what I found:

1. Belt is bumpy. That adds to vibration but not the noise I've been hearing. New belt will fix it.
2. Inner motor pulley half wasn't mounted correctly. The set screw was on the shaft, not the key. This prevented the key from going in all the way which prevented the outer pulley half from a traveling the full range. This also didn't make the noise I heard though it's now fixed.
3. THE SOURCE OF THE NOISE. The inner pulley is bloody warped! The outer pulley is new as is the bearing. But I hadn't touched the inner pulley half. Watching it run with the cover off made it totally obvious where the problem is.

So the noise is the pulley slapping the belt around which was impacting not only the other pulley half, but the spindle pulley too causing a heck of a racket.

So now I need to order a new inner pulley. $15. Item 5 here: http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Pro...productid=57910&typeId=11207&documentId=30369

I don't suppose that piece is an off the shelf part, is it? I hate waiting for ServiceNet's shipping.

bitshird

Don, Don't feel bad, My new Shop Fox 16x42 had the motor out of alignment over a 1/4 inch. to make it worse, the motor mount is not only bolted, but has two drive pins to locat it, I called their customer service and the guy says just ream out the holes and loose the dowel pins, . It's a 2 horse motor, how am I supposed to hold it, take a die grinder and wallow out the damn holes!, it's a nice lathe, but I'll never buy another product from them, so much for their 5 year warranty.

Top Bottom