NewLondon88's Acrylic Stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

NewLondon88 (Charlie) sent me a number of the acrylic stands to try. I did pay for the first group of single stands but not the second and did not pay for the triples just to let all know,

The first group were single stands with risers that were made facing straight up. When I received them the slots for the risers on a few were not cut all the way through and I was able to knock two of them out but the other two I broke . Charlie was notified and he has now fixed that and sent me replacements along with risers that were cut to face forward.

All of the stands as well as the risers come with a film on both sides that has to be removed. The finished edges are well done, not polished but nice and smooth.

The first triple pen stands were not spaced properly and also the larger pens ( Full sized Gents,Emperor Etc.) were the only pens that would fit on the bottom, unless you posted the Jr. sized pens.
Charlie then redesigned it and it is well proportioned and all sized pens should be able to be displayed.

He also sent me a couple of larger single stands for larger pens, I really like them but the smaller one do a great job of showing all size pens and I really don't think theres a big need for the larger singles. In the photos you'll see what I mean.

For those of you that do shows the 3 tiered and single pen stands would be a great addition to your displays, giving the customer a different perspective of your work looking down at your pen instead of looking directly at the pens in a vertical stand and seeing all that could be behind them. Also would be great for your photos that need to be sent off or done on line for jurying.

My overall review of these is for the price that he's charging they all are well worth considering, they are well thought out and made.

Here are some photos with pens so you can see what they look like with some pens and also one to show the two risers.

Here is the triple with a larger pen at the top:
IMG_2533.jpg

With all same sized pens:
IMG_2534.jpg

Trible w/o pens:
IMG_2535.jpg

Large single with large pen:
IMG_2539.jpg

Small single with large pen:
IMG_2540.jpg

Small single with Jr. Sized pen, risers facing you:
IMG_2538.jpg

Small single risers facing up:
IMG_2537.jpg

Upfacing and forward facing riser:
IMG_2542.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I also received 10 of the 3-tiered stands and find them to be an excellent value. Assembly can be a bit hard as I have to trim some of the uprights to fit well, but overall I'm very pleased with the quality and value.

I'm looking forward to using them in upcoming shows.

BTW Charlie...
Still looking for a few 2-tier designs. :)

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Hey, cool! My name in lights!

Yeah.. I'm thinking the fit is a bit of mis-matched parts. Even though I
bought all 1/4" material, some of them are .250, some are .236, some
are .220 and some are .200! And some even vary within the same sheet.
I didn't know this at the time.
So now I'm measuring before each run, and having to rebuild the file for
each depth. What a pain in the arse!
That also tells me why I was getting some rough edges that I had to hit
with the torch.. can't use the same settings for .200 as you do for .236 ..

Things seem to be evened out now. Thanks to all the guinea pigs :tongue:

Alton just picked up some more material, and he's got some ideas
for new shapes and designs..

Last edited:

rsjimenez

Thank You, Charlie. I received my order today and they look great. Here is a picture of the two pen stand :biggrin: with my logo and white plastic paint.

Attachments

• stands.jpg
    stands.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Stan just wrote me a note and reminded me about chemicals and plexi..

in a word.. DON'T.

On a normal piece of acrylic, chemicals that contain alcohol or ammonia can cause
a haze on the surface. On plexi that has been laser engraved, chemicals can cause
the material to craze. You'll end up with a spider web of cracks.

Best way to clean the stands is with a soft cloth. Fingerprints can be removed with
a gentle buffing motion.
But hey .. they're not cut crystal .. just plastic pen stands!

mick

I bought a number of the three tier stands from Charlie. I was VERY pleased with the prices! Try buying stands of this quality from any of our big suppliers and see what you pay for them!
Assembly wasn't easy. The tolerances between the cut out in the base and the inserts are very tight....but they do fit without any alteration. This is a good thing as I don't want them coming apart in packing or unpacking.
The stands look GREAT! I've incorporated a half dozen into my normal display in my opinion (and several of my long time customers I've asked to critque my additions) and it's really increased the visual appeal of my setup.
If you're looking for stands... and a bargain Charlies stands can't be beat.
I'll probably buy some of his other configurations soon as my I think I still need to add something to my display.
I don't work for Charlie or haven't received anything for adding to Roy's review but just wanted to let folks know about a good product from another of our great members.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
spell your last name again for the check? :tongue:

Yes, they should fit tight.. but not so it is difficult. I have had some trouble
with material thickness changing within the same sheet. One side might be
.220, the other side of the same sheet might be .235 :eek:

Now I'm test fitting before I pack them to ship. There's also a top and
bottom to them.. if they fit tight one way, try turning the base over and
fitting again. The laser beam has an hourglass shape, so it might fit better
the other way

Top Bottom