Newbie post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Burr

Jim Burr

Banned
This is a first on 2 levels, my first post on this forum and my first attempt at acrylic. Jr. Gent II in black titanium. There is no finish, just polished to 6k micro.
All suggestions and comments accepted

Attachments

• swirl.jpg
    swirl.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

Nice pen!
Have you tried using a plastic polish on acrylic? I am not saying that your pen needs it, but I find that I like to finish with novus 2 on acrylics.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
FANTASTIC start, Jim!!!!

Always difficult with pictures, but it looks like
you can see the tubes--not always a BAD thing,
but you can also paint the tubes and the inside of
the hole before you put the tubes in to reduce it's
visibility.

Up to you--in person, it may not be visible!!

GREAT start!!

ToddMR

Great looking pen Jim. I like that blank and the kit too. I think you did a very good job. I don't always use the plastic polish either. Sometimes the blank is so shinny already I see no need for it personally. Great job!

Jim Burr

Banned
Thanks guys!

Nice pen!
Have you tried using a plastic polish on acrylic? I am not saying that your pen needs it, but I find that I like to finish with novus 2 on acrylics.

I haven't tried it yet Jaeger, I don't really have a buffing system but if I do more of these, some kind of buffing will be in my future. I have Ren wax, but was thinking of Hut's as well.

Novus 1 and 2 works great and all you need a a cotton rag(I actually use the blue shop paper towel) and the speed of your lathe.Many other products that work just as well so look into it.And nice job on the pen sir,Victor

Jim Burr

Banned
FANTASTIC start, Jim!!!!

Always difficult with pictures, but it looks like
you can see the tubes--not always a BAD thing,
but you can also paint the tubes and the inside of
the hole before you put the tubes in to reduce it's
visibility.

Up to you--in person, it may not be visible!!

GREAT start!!

I had that happen in a black and yellow swirl that I did... luckily the tube color matched the blank color. On this one...it's just the photo. But along that line for future reference, is it best to rough up the blank and then paint...I guessing that's the case and how does the paint react to CA? What kind of paint is best?

Thanks!!

randyrls

guessing that's the case and how does the paint react to CA? What kind of paint is best?

I just use a spray paint intended for plastics. Krylon, Rustoleum, or similar should work. The paint partly dissolves the CA, but I figure that is just improving the bond between them. :)

Rough the brass tube, and spray the paint into both ends of the blank. Let dry, then glue.

PS. You can change the look of some semi transluscent blanks by changing the paint color. These two blanks started out the same, but one was painted blue, the other pink.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had that happen in a black and yellow swirl that I did... luckily the tube color matched the blank color. On this one...it's just the photo. But along that line for future reference, is it best to rough up the blank and then paint...I guessing that's the case and how does the paint react to CA? What kind of paint is best?

Thanks!!

I don't bother to rough the tube, but most do.

The "best" paint I have used is testors enamel in the little tiny bottles we painted plastic ship parts with.

CA plays hell on paint. The Testors survives the best of any I have tried. Alternatively, use the Rustoleum or other sprays and use epoxy. The epoxy can even be colored with the paint or other dye. CA CAN NOT--don't bother trying--BRICK!!!

BTDT!!

Mark

I use enamel paint also, with good results. But I only paint my tubes.

After your MM to 6K, 12K whatever... While you still have the blank/body of the pen on the lathe, grab some automotive polish and/or wax. The same stuff you use on your car. Just do half the body. Put a little on your towel, work it over the blank, find a clean spot on the towel and gently buff it off the blank.

Step back and see if you don't notice a difference. Just my $.02

Note: Try this on a pen you can afford to experiment on. Try several different polishes if you want. I use a cleaning polish and then a liquid wax. Works just fine for me. Everyone has their own opinions and system that works for them..

Jim Burr

Banned
Thanks guys!! I'll be using these idea this weekend and hope to have something worthy to post. Thanks again!!

Top Bottom