Newbie from Sapulpa Oklahoma

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oljswartz

Experience is the most valuable resource there is! (thats where you folks come in) I just purchased a used Jet 1236 with a set of high hss tools :biggrin: and I am interested in getting started turning some pens. I also have some pen blanks I have cut up over the years, oak, pear and some wild plum that looks interesting. :confused: I need lots of info: Suppliers, How to, etc. I have done a little research from what I hear an adjustable mandrel is the best route to go. I also think I need a Universal barrel trimming system. Do I need anything else to get started? Oh perhaps a sugestion on a type of pen kit to learn on. I have shopped at the Wood-N-Whimsy website and their prices seem OK, but I welcome any advice on everything. So come on folks I will take all the advice you can give me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Welcome from Michigan. Kits to start with, Slim lines, Sierra, Barons just to name a few that make nice pens. A lot of members here will shun the slim line, but I sell a lot of them. Some basic and some modified. They are a less expensive kit and have endless potential. Browse the photo library and you will get a lot of ideas.

ctubbs

Welcome Jim, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Welcome . I say start out with slims. They are cheap so you don't have much $$$ in them. I get $20 for Corian pens and $ 30 for wood made on slim line kits. The finish on wood is the hardest for me. Haven't mastered that yet.. once you feel you are putting out a good produce, move up to better kits Happy turnning.

Top Bottom