New toy arriving soon....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opfoto

Everyone, I recently ordered the Kreg bandsaw fence as mentioned in a previous thread. A few places are/were running a special if you buy the fence you get the 4-1/2" resaw attachment free. I also got in on a free shipping deal. So I splurged and got the micro-adjuster with whatever savings that came to. All said and done $122 was my total. Not bad I figure.

Anyway,
I need help with attaching it to my Bandsaw table. I have a cast Iron table with no predrilled holes. I only have 1 bandsaw table and I don't want to mess it up. I only need 2 holes. I will use the rail as my template when it comes (hopefully tomorrow) but I have the ti-coated bits that HF sells, or I have HSS drill bits. But I am not sure if these will do it. I have no clue as to wander, or speed or what to do 1st. Center punch?

Help.....

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

If you have a set of transfer punches this would be a perfect opportunity to use them for what they were made for. Novel idea, aint' it?! HSS drill bits work fine on cast iron. I'd c-punch first and then use a 1/8" bit for a starter hole and then drill the right size for the bolt. Cast iron taps easily so I suggest tapping it also.

opfoto

Thanks for the quick reply..

I do not have transfer punches (yet)... Though it is on my list of must haves....

I'll use the 1/8th" for starters then I'll use whatever is recommended for tapping. I am not sure of the bolt used as of yet.

Does drilling speed matter?
I can use my DP with the table on end and in a vise if needed or suggested.

rherrell

I'd just use a hand drill and drill STRAIGHT. As far as speed goes that's something that I just have a feel for from working in metal shops for 35 years. I'd say if you have a cordless drill start out slow and get to about half speed. Watch the shavings, if they are coming out pretty regular then you're OK.

Daniel

Be careful when drilling with the 1/8 bit. they sell them in bulk packs for a reason, they are very easy to break. the transfer punch would really be handy here to get the hole right where you want it.

opfoto

Well...
It finally arrived....I felt like an impatient father. Will report later on how the mounting goes. I will also try to posts pics then as well. Thanks again for the help.

Top Bottom