new shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just moved into my new shop in my basement. It is not quite done as I have to build some cabinets over the tools to hold accessories,a clamp rack, and put in a dust collection system, but it's functional. A work in progress.
Glenn

200547104845_Copy%20of%20new%20shop%202.jpg

20054710499_Copy%20of%20new%20shop%203.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Sort of looks like he moved his tools in to an operating room to me. how shameful. let there be dust.
Congrats and it really looks comfortable in there.

esheffield

Nice shop! And nice to know I'm not the only person around here using one of those Ridgid lathes. [:D] But yours is so much more accessible than mine! I have a bunch of unfinished kitchen cabinets crowding my shopping needing to be finished. I'd much rather be making pens! [:p]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
<b><h3>NEVER TRUST ANYONE WITH A CLEAN DESK....... OR SHOP....... LOL</b></h3>
Nice shop.... but you have to get it dirty... LOL

wayneis

Why replace it, is there a reason that someone should or should not buy a Ridged lathe? I've been thinking about getting a larger lathe, I'm turning on a Jet mini non-VS.

Wayne

esheffield

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Why replace it, is there a reason that someone should or should not buy a Ridged lathe? I've been thinking about getting a larger lathe, I'm turning on a Jet mini non-VS.

Wayne
It's a little odd, I guess. I'm reasonably content with mine, but probably wouldn't buy it again if I had it to do over. My biggest gripe is the #1 morse taper. That can be slightly limiting as some accessories are only available in #2. I've seen an adapter, but it's kind of spindly looking. Related too is the smallish 3/4 x 16 threads, but that's not too bad. The tubular bed is a bit annoying - I can't get the play adjusted out of the tailstock on mine. It locks down OK, but since it rotates slightly on the tube you never know if it's really aligned with the headstock. There is an adjustment screw for that, but if I tighten mine any more the tailstock won't move at all. No handwheel gets to be a slight aggravation at times. And I've read others complaining about the lowest speed being too fast, but that was for bowl/faceplate turning which I have not tried yet.

Sears has sold (and still does, I think) several variations on this lathe over the years as well.

I do like it OK and am not in a hurry to get rid of it. It's just that when I bought it I didn't really know anything about lathes and didn't understand what limitations it actually had. But for turning pens and such it's been fine.

wpenm

From what I can see the Ridgid lathe looks just like a 12" Chraftsman lathe. I have used a Chraftsman for several years. I agree with Eddie about the tube. Other than that, it has been a good one.

I agree with you guys, I am reasonably happy witth my Ridgid, however it is the play in the tail stock,due to the tubeI believe, is the culprit for the consistent out of round (however so slight)I get on my pens. I am happy with the speed settings and the power. It's just to switch to a Jet mini which I will probably do soon, I will have to buy another hundred $ in accessories due to the #2 morse taper. If anyone has a line on a non-vs 1410 model, let me know. I cant find it for less than $250.00 and Woodcraft has a 10% off all Jet products today. So $225.00 aint all bad.
Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom