new for tonight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darbytee

Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

This is a violet dyed stabilized curly maple cigar pen that I made for my wife. I'm particularly proud of the finish on this one, as I think I'm finally getting the results I want. Unfortunately my photography is still pretty poor, but I'm working on that too. Sanded to 2000, then EEE, BLO/CA topped with friction polish and TSW. Thanks for looking.

20054344611_vicig.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck C

Nice pen Fred, I have to look around to make sure that LOML is not looking. She would want one of those.

woodscavenger

Just curious about your finish method. You state sand to 2000 then use EEE. It was my understanding the EEE brought the finish up to 1200 equivalent. Are you backtracking with that finish order?

darbytee

Shane, This is what I pulled off of the manufacturers page:

If you sand to 240 grit then use EEE it will give you about the equivalent of sanding with 1200 grit or more. The higher grit abrasive paper you use before using EEE the better your finish will be. If you sand to 1200 grit and then use EEE you will get about the equivalent of sanding up to somewhere between 2000 & 4000 grit depending on the material you are sanding.

jimr

Very nice looking pen, Fred. The color is a bit warm but I assume the fittings are the satin pearl finish. I just made my first cigar pen with the same fittings and red heart. I really like that kit and the color. By the way, what is EEE? I am always looking for new finish processes.
I am sure your wife will really like the pen. Good job.

darbytee

Thanks everyone. The kit is actually a satin nickel kit and the color of the blank is actually a really nice light purple. I tried to set up my trashcan photo booth yesterday but I guess I didn't have enough lighting. I'm gonna head to Lowe's this morning and fix that.

Jim, EEE is an abrasive wax made by Shellawax. I put it on after I'm done sanding and before my final finishing. BB had it on sale last week (not sure if it still is or not). One container of it will go a LONG way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom