nelsonite stabilizer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eastbay

There is a major pool q maker that had switched from nelsonite to resolute wood stabilizer. They sell it delivered in the lower 48 for $85.00 for 5 gallons. I was wondering if any one had tried this stabilizer before. Just from my thoughts it would seem to be a good product espically if used by the pool q industry. There reason they said for the switch was it was equally as good but did not have the horrible smell. I ordered 5 gallons and when arrived and I use I will post some thoughts but I would like some opinions on the product. $85.00 was the sale price it is normally $115.00 so I thought why not. I thank all for some input & be a good day to you. East Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Josh ... Greetings to you.

I am on that would definitely be interested in seeing some of your results in using Nelsonite for stabilization. Please post your method in a step to step and detailed account of how you do you stabilization. The temperaturs you work in will be interesting as well. Whatever your results I am very sure that many here in the IAP will be wanting to hear about them. [:D]

Originally posted by penhead
<br />If you haven't seen this, then it might be interesting reading:
http://www.cuecomponents.com/nelsonite.html

Yup found that site on a Google, but that is about it. While I don't need to know what is in the mix, I would like to know that the mix is... a bona fidey commercial product, not some homebrew I can make myself, for example: A-Plex(acetone and plexiglass).

Were they sending a MSDS with the product? Were you charged a Hazmat fee for shipping?

This post is in no way meant as a slur against anyone nor is it meant to start a flamewar.

eastbay

He said they would send an MSDS sheet. As far as a hasmat charge for shipping im not sure it was not mentioned it was just 85.00 shipping included. When it arrives later this week I will post all info. They would not give any info over the phone. Cheers

Gary Max

The trouble is the way we us the word Stabilize---we are looking for a wood hardener---they are making a product the keeps wood from twisting---two different things.
I called and talked with them on the phone last year.

Fred

I definitely see a need for the trade to standardize on the term "STABILIZE." IMHO, the term 'stabilized' when used for wood means the wood has been treaded through and through with some form of acrylic resins. The chemical named Pentacryl is constantly used and stated to be "stabilized!" I disagree with this use of the word. Pentacryl is used to "TREAT" primarily fresh cut, green wood to help in preventing it from cracking. To me that is entirely different simply due to the accepted fact that any wood that is truely stabilized by acrylic is always less than 10% moisture content. It surely is not fresh cut green wood.

The fact that professional stabilization services require wood to be 'dry' tends to indictate - to me at least - that the chemicals used react with moisture in the woods being treated. This also makes me lean to the use of Resinol 90C as it apparently will react with green wood moisture similar to the way PR does when casting.

Pentacryl also causes many of us some serious fininshing problems whereas stabilized materials readidly accept everything a lot easier. The little bit of wood I have seen and handled that was "treated" with Pentacryl felt to me like it was kinda greasy and looked like it had oil on it. I have used stabilized woods for a good bit and there is NO comparision to other types of treated woods, again, IMHO.

For some reason this line of discussion tends to go on and on with no end in sight ... [;)]

Tanner

I have a gallon of Nelsonite. I used it on two pre-drilled blanks in a vacuum chamber. Both blanks broke out at the end during end milling. I have not tried it again. I did not bake the blanks afterwards. I may try it again soon. The blanks were cross cut spalted maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom