My Trio of Scalloped, Segmented, Burl Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Okay, so I wrote the tutorial and posted it in the Advanced section for others to make, but I still had some more left in me before moving onto different design ideas. You'll see that the 3rd one looks exactly like the original post weeks ago except it's not. I made a second one after making a trade for the first one...Thanks Martin:biggrin:

Pen 1: Black Ash Burl, Honduran Rosewood Burl, Amboyna Burl Scallops
Pen 2: Cocobolo, Black Palm, Black PR
Pen 3: Cocobolo, Honduran Rosewood Burl, Banded Ivory PR

*Black Palm is not my favorite to work with by far, but it looks good*

6556716953_9987b3eb88_z.jpg

6556717051_45250ca2fd_z.jpg

6556717239_21e89f0e00_z.jpg

6556717163_1ea4dfda29_z.jpg

THE TRIO

6556717125_d79709ee80_z.jpg

Here's the link for others who wish to try: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89931

As always, larger images can be seen in my IAP gallery or Flickr gallery. Both linked below:biggrin:

Last edited:

wiset1

OOOOOHHHH LAWD!!! You're killing me with these. I get a few comments on one and get to feeling all warm and fuzzy then BAM!!!! Ya do this to me.

It's time for me to try something different so it's all yours:biggrin: Glad you like them

MarkD

Now those are just over the job. Great color combinations! Great workmanship. Yeah, it's time for you to try something different! :biggrin:

crabcreekind

The black palm Looks KILLER! Great job on all 3. The photo on the first 1 looks like you have 3 pieces of aluminum because of the light

wiset1

Seriously excellent pens AND pictures! Very nice. Can't wait to see what your going to try next.

The next one was inspired by some of the knife sites I came across while looking for the Mosaic pins. I'll just say that it's dialed down like a thousand times when sitting next to these:rolleyes: I have to finish up the accent on the lower barrel tomorrow then I'll post. It has a Steel Wool finish:cool:

wiset1

What aluminum do you use for these pens? they are very beautiful!

If you go to Lowes or Home Depot there's a section where they sell steel and aluminum rods. Well, they have sheets of aluminum there or you can buy them online. I just bought some brass sheets off of Amazon so you can get it pretty much anywhere. Other people use coke cans, or roofing material. It all pretty much works the same I guess

76winger

Tim, they all look stunningly beautiful.

I'd like to challenge you to re-do that last photo and get a little better depth of field on it. The three together like that would be picture perfect if you can stretch that out so the corners come into focus better. Your Flickr photo shows it was shot at f5.6 and 1/60th sec. shutter, if you could the aperture up to f18 or above and slow the shutter down appropriately (tripod mandatory though), I think the resulting photo of the three would be spectacular because the lighting looks good as does the framing and orientation of the group.

I don't mean this to be a put-down of what you've done, the pens are EXCELLENT!!!! and I simply think a sharper photo of that group would be well over the top.

OKLAHOMAN

Tim, as always your segmenting is second to none, a few years ago we had a member Ron Mc that kind of was the king of segmenting I think he would be proud to have you mentioned in his class. I was lucky enough to be presented one of his trademarked "Morning After" pens and your definitely in his class, maybe even raised the bar in segmenting.

wiset1

Tim, as always your segmenting is second to none, a few years ago we had a member Ron Mc that kind of was the king of segmenting I think he would be proud to have you mentioned in his class. I was lucky enough to be presented one of his trademarked "Morning After" pens and your definitely in his class, maybe even raised the bar in segmenting.

:eek: Wow, Thanks Roy! I really haven't been turning much longer than a year so it's pretty cool to get this kind of feedback. It really does boil down to all the inspiration I get from being a member of the IAP. There's just so much talent on this forum that one can't help but advance in one way or another. I still have a long way to go...kitless for example, but one day I'm sure I'll learn just enough to get myself into trouble:biggrin: Again, thanks Roy!

76winger

:eek: Wow, Thanks Roy! I really haven't been turning much longer than a year so it's pretty cool to get this kind of feedback. It really does boil down to all the inspiration I get from being a member of the IAP. There's just so much talent on this forum that one can't help but advance in one way or another. I still have a long way to go...kitless for example, but one day I'm sure I'll learn just enough to get myself into trouble:biggrin: Again, thanks Roy!

I agree with Roy. You've done to pens what will take me at least a couple more years, if not more to achieve. My hats off to you.:good:

wiset1

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion about the 3rd picture, but the truth is I'm kind of lazy by nature. I may get around to taking another shot; however, it's pretty much the effect I was going for so it may have to happen on the next series of pens. Thanks though!

That`s what I am taking about. Perfect wood combo`s, clean uniform and no glue lines anywhere making rich high end pens.
Like I had said I can do them I just cannot get the fit and finish you get.
If we are picking favs, I am picking #1. It just speaks to me louder I guess.:)

PenPal

Hi Mate,

Tim Tim Tim the triplets arrived on time presented graciously with style and the proud parent deserves the credit.

Heck I did not envy you mixing anything with that there Black Palm my treatment ideal for that tough stuff it deserves a right angle drill and sanding disks it can be real ornery. When you mix other materials it must a pain in the bum avoiding scooping the softer while finishing that Palm but the evidence is always there it is worth the agravation.

Cocobolo leaps out and says here I am always a top choice for impact. The random lining impresses me.

Pics of dark and light together painful in compromise so the Black Ash loses on pic but takes pride of place in the hand I can be sure.

I do remember you saying how short a time you have been making pens however I carefully follow all your masterpieces marvelling at your skill and downright humble approach it reminds me of a book title in our home when I was a kid One To Live With.

The merriest of Xmases and the best for 2012.

Kind regards Peter.

wiset1

That`s what I am taking about. Perfect wood combo`s, clean uniform and no glue lines anywhere making rich high end pens.
Like I had said I can do them I just cannot get the fit and finish you get.
If we are picking favs, I am picking #1. It just speaks to me louder I guess.:)

Thanks Brian!

With the baby being due any day now I had to do something to take my mind off of things:biggrin: I guess my belt/disk sander is my best friend in the shop making sure everything is smooth and ready to be put together with glue. It's not the initial work that's the problem...it's keeping these blanks together when you're drilling them out!!! I had a couple issues to tell you the truth. I think it was the cold in the shop:confused:

wiset1

Tim,

Amazing as always! Looks like you finally received your PSI order. :wink::rolleyes: Just a little joking amongst friends. :biggrin:

True enough! Left against the door soaked through from the rain, but they arrived today:biggrin:

wiset1

Hi Mate,

Tim Tim Tim the triplets arrived on time presented graciously with style and the proud parent deserves the credit.

Heck I did not envy you mixing anything with that there Black Palm my treatment ideal for that tough stuff it deserves a right angle drill and sanding disks it can be real ornery. When you mix other materials it must a pain in the bum avoiding scooping the softer while finishing that Palm but the evidence is always there it is worth the agravation.

Cocobolo leaps out and says here I am always a top choice for impact. The random lining impresses me.

Pics of dark and light together painful in compromise so the Black Ash loses on pic but takes pride of place in the hand I can be sure.

I do remember you saying how short a time you have been making pens however I carefully follow all your masterpieces marvelling at your skill and downright humble approach it reminds me of a book title in our home when I was a kid One To Live With.

The merriest of Xmases and the best for 2012.

Kind regards Peter.

Yeah, that Black palm is a real pain in the butt! The pen I hope to post tomorrow is a segmented one with black palm on the outside and THAT was a test of my sanity. I think I used an entire container of thin CA just to get that stuff to stay put and not chip out. Well worth the effort though if you stick with it. Not really sure what to do next, but I do have one in the queue that should look nice when finished as a tribute pen...that will be some work though.

Take care and best wishes and thank you for the feedback! You always bloat my ego:biggrin:

Brooks803

Oh WOW Tim! You have been busy! They're all beauties but the black ash burl takes it for me...my fav wood! I'll never get tired seeing your creations, they truely are works of art!

wiset1

Oh WOW Tim! You have been busy! They're all beauties but the black ash burl takes it for me...my fav wood! I'll never get tired seeing your creations, they truely are works of art!

I feel the same way about your work Jonathon! Best wishes boss

mrburls

Now you're just SHOWING OFF your talent that is. Just beautiful work Tim. Don't be afraid to make more and show them, I enjoy your segmenting work.

Keith "mrburls"

wiset1

Now you're just SHOWING OFF your talent that is. Just beautiful work Tim. Don't be afraid to make more and show them, I enjoy your segmenting work.

Keith "mrburls"

I'll have to figure something out for future designs, but I need more tools. Right now I have a lathe, a band saw, and a belt/disk sander. Time to get some cool new tools:biggrin:

alphageek

Former Moderator
wiset1 said:
I'll have to figure something out for future designs, but I need more tools. Right now I have a lathe, a band saw, and a belt/disk sander. Time to get some cool new tools:biggrin:

Ha!!! If that isn't a statement we all make at times! I have more tools than that, but never enough! Now if I could find more TIME, that would be the real trick!

wiset1

wiset1 said:

Ha!!! If that isn't a statement we all make at times! I have more tools than that, but never enough! Now if I could find more TIME, that would be the real trick!

Well, I would like 4 more tools and that's it...:smile-big:

1: New JET Lathe to replace the red monster I have now
2: A Byrnes Model Table saw...sooo sweet
3: A Benchtop Jointer...help with segmenting
4: The CNC Shark

That would about set me up...reminds me...got to go buy my lotto tickets today:biggrin: If I win...FREE tools for EVERYONE!!!!

AultMan

blank palm

You should try one with the black palm cut diagonally or end grain. They are even tougher to turn, but the results are awesome.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Those are all stunning, but #3 is mine and my wifes favourite. :cool: Very well done ( as usual, of course!!:wink: )

wiset1

Thanks Earl

I need to see if I can segment some of Jonathons blanks into the mix. I just can't bring myself to cut his stuff up you know?

JohnR06

Man, those are amazing!! Wow! Wow! Wow! I hope when I've been turning as long as you have that I might be able to do something half that nice!

John

Top Bottom