My latest # 8 BOW Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I guess I already said it all in the subject line. This is 1 BOW Sierra (2 views of same pen). Everyone seems to want it, when I show it. The folks at Harbor Freight were lining up to look at the 5 pens I carried with me. This and (for some reason) my fat Yellow Cedar Burl Cigar pen were the most popular. They also were scoping out my lignum vitae sierra.
Rob

20051222360_DSCN1854.jpg

200512223623_DSCN1856.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Easysport

Kevin. That stuff you refer to is really nice to turn. I've made and sold a few comfort pens using it. But all my sales have been to friends. I think they're still my friends for at least as long as the pens last.Getting a little cooler up here in northern AZ.[8D]

Ron Mc

Very nice! The combination of BOW and Sierra have been a hit for me this week. Three sold and more orders on the way! Now I know who to contact so that I can get an assist filing orders.[:D]

JimGo

Very well done Rob! Hope I'll get to see that in person some time soon! (unless it sells, in which case, I won't hold it against you)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rob,

Very nice. I had not thought of using BOW with a Sierra. I finished one tonight with axis antler, the next one will definitely be BOW. You are improving with every pen!

BigRob777

Thank you all,
Actually, it is one pen. I can't decide which side I like the best, as the grain is nice for two different reasons. I guess I like the darker lines, but the lighter stuff has more interesting grain. Anyway, Kevin...what kind of olivewood are your slimlines and your olive and walnut ornament? Also, my next special will either be Australian wood, X-cut chakte viga, BOW, Striped Padauk (angle, or cross-cut), Curly walnut, or more curly koa. I am not sure yet. I have sold so many of my BOW, that I don't have very much left for a special.

The mandrel wobbles a bit, and I am almost positive that it is because of the tail stock's angle is too tight. I need a wider angle. That's why the pen looks too large at the CB in the bottom shot, on top.

George,
I got my satin pearl (or whatever it is called) cigar kits in and really like the color. I may be placing another order before too long. I have been shopping at AZ Silouette and Woodturningz. I got my mandrel for my indoor lathe, but found out that the lathe is on backorder for a month. Good ol' Amazon.com, Christmas rush is already beginning, I guess. There may be a new batch of penturners coming our way soon.

Rob

dubdrvrkev

Rob, the s/l are olive I got from Dario, its from CA I think. The ornament may not be olive afterall, another turner looked at it and said it was probably a cherry burl. I though it was olive because of the strong odor it had while turning. I hadn't turned cherry (that I was aware of), so I didn't know that it is aromatic also.

BigRob777

Wow, what awesome compliments. I got 3 posts, while I was writing that last one. Must be too long.[:D][:I] I just noticed that I only have two lots left of the BOW, I guess I shouldn't make them into a special.

So, when I tell someone to take a bow, I'm giving them permission to steal my pen? :eek:)] I'm falling asleep as I write this. G'night kind folks.
Rob

PS This is what my pile used to look like.
20051224228_DSCN1695.jpg
<br />

Dan

Rob -

Just beautiful. That Olivewood is really eye-catching, small wonder to me that the Harbor Freight group were lined up.

I've just received my first 5 Sierra kits from Arizona Silhouette - got any tips for working this kit?

Dan

BigRob777

Dan,
If you really want a tip from someone who has only done 8 pens, I would say that this is the easiest kit I've done. Unfortunately, there seems to be only one shape that looks right on it. I haven't seen any other shape posted anywhere. I guess Lou (DCBlues), or Ed (Yoyospin) could make it look good in an alternate shape though.

BTW, I am almost out of Olivewood sets (of 8).
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom