My Homemade Pen Turning Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

orionlx200

I posted this to the wrong forum so I'm reposting it here sorry if you already have seen it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,
I know some of you have seen my new pen making tool on the other group but maybe someone here hasn't.I had some spare time on my hands and made up a pen turning tool from a Mastercut 1/2" steel from Oneway that I had.It is one of those too expensive types(powder HSS)and very nice.I used some odd cocobolo that I had for the handle and turned some brass rod to make ends for the wooden section.It is nice and solid and will do all the operations making a pen.My old pen tool was just one of those cheapo short types that was way too light for my liking.I found it tended to chatter or vibrate in my hand but the new one just cuts wood like butter:)You can see from the picture that I made the handle at an angle.The reason is I must sit to turn my pens and it was the most natural angle for my hand.It works very well for me.I also took a lot of time to carve the handle to exactly fit my hand with my Dremel tool.It is so nice to hold that my hand hasn't cramped up at all,like with my old tools.The whole gouge balances just at the point the steel enters the brass.I find that to be just right as well.Have a look and let me know what you think,Thanks.

Image Insert:
2004613211547_one%20half%20inch%20pen%20gouge.jpg

30.77KB

orionlx200

Hi Lee,
It works way better for me.I have problems with my hands and wrists(fibromyalgia and arthritis) so this sort of allows me to use my whole arm much more.I can even do delicate things like small beads and coves.At least as well as when I used a straight handle but far less painful if used for any length of time.Hope this helps some.If you need more info just ask.I'm haveing a bad day today so it might be a short wait for a reply.Thanks for the nice comments.

ilikewood

Hi Tom,

That is an excellent design. I have seen some of your other work over at Yahoo and I am impressed at your designs to help those with some physical problems. Keep up the good work and hope you are feeling better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom