My first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I was commissioned by my senior pastor, to make this for Neil, my associate pastor who's also my mentor. Neil did the job of project coordinator for our new church building and walked with me a number of times in the trees, as they were being cut down. The two woods are walnut, with persimmon stripes. Both trees had to be taken down for the new building. Both were also given to me, but I'm waiting on the rest of the walnut, as I can't lift it.

This is my first, (I guess you would call it a) segmented pen. It turned out pretty well, but I'm going to have to get used to it. I had a small amount of tear-out in the sappy part of the walnut, but it wasn't too bad. Overall, I'm happy with it. I'm also making a stand for the pen, to go on Neil's desk, out of some lightly spalted hickory, also from the property. I haven't done it yet, but I'll probably attach the pic here.

Comments welcome. Finish is BLO and Lacquer.
Rob

2007515194121_DSCN0364.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Thanks guys. For my first, I didn't want to do a celtic knot, but that may come later. I especially like curly walnut. This was from the area surrounding a branch crotch.
Rob

GaryMGg

Rob,
That's a fine lookin' pen; I love the figure in walnut and also a fan of using areas where the sap and heartwoods meet. Makes for a nice effect. Good work.
Gary

broitblat

Nice work Rob. I think the pen looks very handsome. Good figure in the walnut and the segments add further to the look. Also glad to see you're able to be turning again these days.

-Barry

BigRob777

Thanks Gary, Barry and Michael. It's awesome to be turning again. I also love flatwork and hope to build some furniture soon, but I like tables best, as I can turn the legs.
Rob

BigRob777

Guy,
Well, of course, that's the good side and you can't see how off-round the tip is, or the chatter on the back side (it's small, but noticeable to me). See, now everyone knows.[8D]
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom