My first corn cob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ

This is my first successful corn cob cigar.:D I haven't had much time with my "toys" lately so it was great fun to make.

200553014049_corn-cob1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CJ

Thanks all. Ahhh...another day, no work, and all day in the shop to play![;)]

CJ

I bought cobs from the feed store in town, took the kernels off, cut them into blanks and drilled the holes. Then I soaked them in Minwax Wood Hardener for a couple of hours, left out to dry, redrilled the holes and turned them. I used CA glue with sawdust as needed to fill gaps. I didn't have any problems with them.

Great!! Our corncob pen was quite the conversation piece at this weekends' show. Actually sold it first thing Sunday morning to another vendor, who allowed us to keep it the rest of the day. She bought it to give to her sons' best friend who was on scholarship in Iowa, who graduates this year....b/c all he can say about Iowa is "the best thing about Iowa is that it has lots of corn' LOL But we will DEFINITELY keep corncobs in our inventory for shows and not just ONE!!!

CJ...since you've made these yourself (CONGRATSon that too!), how do you think thinner cobs would do? We had wondered how 'far' the kernels actually go into the center (thinking on smaller pens)...or if you go off center, would you have a crooking looking pen-- say, kernels on one side, almost disappearing kernels on another? Your thoughts?

CJ

I plan to do some experimenting with the sizes the next weekend. The cobs I used for this were pretty big and when I took to much off the kernels disapeared. I am thinking a smaller cob would work better for a slim line without too much problem. I will let you know.

Congrats on your show. One day I will get brave and do one.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I wish MN would stock and label the cobs in the correct size when they grow,In my album is a slim line (My first corn cob)
It's almost like you have to cut the cob and determine which component set will work the best.
The size of the "pith"core usually determines the tube/component size.

CJ

As I was playing with the drilling on this pen I noticed the drill bit pretty much took the width of the pith out, so I was going to try drilling a 7mm and matching the pith size to the drill. You reply has confirmed my idea may be ok.

You would think MN would be more considerate.

Your pen without the centerband is great.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by CJ
<br />As I was playing with the drilling on this pen I noticed the drill bit pretty much took the width of the pith out, so I was going to try drilling a 7mm and matching the pith size to the drill. You reply has confirmed my idea may be ok.

You would think MN would be more considerate.

Your pen without the centerband is great.
HUH?
What about the others?

CJ

All your pens are wonderful, I was just commenting on the corn cob because that was what you had refered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom