My first Cigar!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MDWine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I took another 'baby-step' today, and turned and finished my first Cigar pen. The wood is Cocobolo, finish is Mylands Friction finish, first time I'd ever used it. I have two coats of sanding sealer under that FF, and two coats of TSW over that. I'm very pleased!:D I guess I'll turn a couple more this week!;)

coco-cigar-sm.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this site. IAP reduces the learning curve, and brings people along so quickly.

Comments and criticisms appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Michael. Hard to believe that was your first cigar. The fit is perfect. I too love cocobolo. Excellent looking finish too!

James

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Michael,

Great looking pen!!

A word of warning that may be of value (implying, of course, that it may NOT be too).

When I started turning, I did a lot of cocobolo-without a mask or respirator, just breathing in all that glorious dust. As you know, it has a nice smell, so what's the problem?

About a year in, I became very allergic to cocobolo. Now, when I turn it, life is a continuum of sneezing, runny nose, watering eyes (hard to turn with eyes watering).

The point is, I now wear a mask/respirator for cocobolo. This minimizes the problem. But, had I done this to begin with, perhaps the allergy would not have developed. Think about using one.

Since this forum is widely read, see if my experience is confirmed by others-if not, perhaps you want to ignore. Masks are not cheap, but as time goes on you will find them less expensive than hospital visits.

MDWine

I know that I am supposed to use the respirator, especially for the oily woods like coco... I will get one, I promise. I just had to make one! I have two more to make, the wedding set, then I should be able to afford the resiprator!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Please do not hesitate to tell me what I can do better, thought. This one makes me smile too, Jim. It will be hard to part with, until I see the check!!! [;)] [:D] [:p]

hobby_dale

Great looking pen, Michael. I will wholeheartedly agree with Fangar that the fit looks perfect! Thanks for giving me something to aspire to. I really like how it turned out. I also use Mylands FF, but not the sanding sealer. Do you think that helps? I guess I am not sure what the sanding sealer is used for...

Cocobolo? Slowly I turn...step by step....inch by inch.... (obtuse reference score 6.5 for those over the age of 40) [:D]

opfoto

Looking good. Nice Cigar. Everyone should be wearing a mask by now. Better to be safe. Thanks for the gentle reminder....

MDWine

So... you took a picture of the cigar BEFORE you smoked it? Or did you just keep it? [:D]

Thanks everyone, I finished two more last night, and will post pictures tonight or tomorrow.

MDWine

My fanny is dragging so far behind me, I just couldn't stay up another minute...

I'll get'm tonight... you'll like the Mesquite, and the Bocote has grown on me now [:D]

{edit}

I used the sealer to close up (or fill) the grain some. As it turns out, prolly wasn't needed for the coco, but is definitely needed (IMHO) for the Bocote. (pics TBU [To Be Uploaded]) I think the Mylands FP produces a finish similar to CA, but not as thick, and not as "filling" as CA. Overall, I like the effect, but need to work out the details on it's application. I used TSW and REN WAX over the FP too. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom