My First Brokers " A Production Turner"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

I picked up a couple of Broker kits while in Provo. I kinda liked the look of the Tacticle, Tacticle kits. I like the feel as well. I just hope they ware good and the rubber coating doesn't come off, only time will tell.

This photo shows a cumberland and a black dyed stabilized curly popular. The cumberland is cut with a duoble taper, I like that look in this pen kit. The popular is an exagerated double taper, I cut the part just to try out my new Scott parting tool I bought ! [:p]

2005621143925_DSC00813.jpg

This photo shows a Broker in Lucite next to a Wall Street, very simular in size, I did not have my scale at the office, but I think the Broker is a touch heavier than the Wall St. Overall length is the same. Clip is different and the machanism is the same style. There has been some flack that the clip rides the pen barrel and mares the pen when opening and closing. I have never cut any grooves or ridges in my Wall Street's, where the clip rides the barrel, so I am not going to start doing it with the Broker's. Next is an old Shaeffer I rebuilt. The reason I included this in the photo, If the designer of the pen shortened the clip, it could come to rest on the top final and avoid this design flaw. Just a thought I had.

2005621144550_DSC00818.jpg

I learned a new term in Provo, "Production Turner" this phrase seemed to be used with the English turners. Back in the day when they became an apprentice turner learning the trade, everything was made by hand turning. Time was money and they didn't waiste any time turning. Ray Key made reference to this many times. When he would make a cut, it was ussually designed to do it with the right tool and make it in one pass. Used a sharp tool to minimuze sanding or no sanding at all. If it took 20 minutes to make a plate, you better not do it in 21 minutes! Although they kicked out the product, it still was done in fine craftsmenship being the artisans that they are.

The only reason I brought this point up is, I have been thinking along the lines, every pen I make has to be a new design, something really different and unusual. Well, that's all good and fine, but is doesn't pay the BILLS ! So, I guess I will can the phrase "Production Turner" with my kit pens. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

They look pretty nice Anthony! I'm not a big fan of the Wall Street pens, but the Broker looks a little more subtle. Guess I'll have to add that to my "to-buy" list!

woodscavenger

How long is the blank on that kit? I need to figure out if my DP has enough travel to handle it. Nice looking pens. You sure don't rest much do you?[:)]

driften

I think you did a great job Anthony. I am not sure the military clip would look right on the broker. It might solve a problem, but its too modern of a pen to have a retro clip.

Anyways great job!

PenWorks

Originally posted by driften
<br />I think you did a great job Anthony. I am not sure the military clip would look right on the broker. It might solve a problem, but its too modern of a pen to have a retro clip.

Anyways great job!

I agree Jeff, it was just shown as a sample of an idea. I modern looking spikey clip, shorten the pen a touch and just maybe.......

Shane, the length of the tube is 3 1/16, that was just a rough messure at my office. Your right, no rest for the wicked [:D] That's why I did them in resins and stabilized wood, I wanted a finish pen last night! It was a week since I made a pen, I was having serious withdrawels [:p]

Here is the link to the instructions, but it doesn't give exact dimenssions.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/pdf/broker_pen.pdf

Gary Max

You know you are right about production turning.
I try to set time limits on how long it will take or how much I will get done in a days time. Of course it seldom works out--- I still keep it in mind.
Good looking pens.

its_virgil

Production Turner: Who do you suppose turns all those bowls and things at the roadside "Walnut Bowl Factory" stores? They are cranked out as quickly as possible by production turners. Richard Raffin is one of the best turner/demoer/teacher that I have seen. He is a production turnere in Australia and cranks out bowl, lidded bowls, and lidded boxes for sale in stores. The stores don't care who turns these items, they just need lots of them to sell. That's what production turners do....produce turned items in large quantity....as a livelhood. Many production turners change to the collectible/artsy stuff later in life and become demo turners at the various symposiums. They develope their own special grinds on the tools. Richard Raffin hogs off the wood on a bowl or box by cutting on the way in, then rotates his gouge with his special grind and cuts on the way out. He wastes no motion. His skew is not angled but straight across. He cuts straight in (like we do with a parting tool) to almost the final diameter and then moves over and makes the next cut, hogging off the material quickly and then finishes with a more conventional tool. Production turners produce, quickly and efficiently. Most of these turners apprenticed under a master turner. But, this is not pens....

Anthony, why didn't you remind me I needed titanium gold cigar pens for an order and wanted to get some of the broker kits? I had to make an order from Bill yesterday for the gold cigar pens. Nice job on the pens and the pictures. I like the broker kits, especially in snake skin. :)

Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenWorks

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />
Anthony, why didn't you remind me I needed titanium gold cigar pens for an order and wanted to get some of the broker kits?

I was to busy looking for your chuck [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom