my binks off craigslist showed up today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clapiana

i have been waiting to meet up with a guy who lives 2 hours away to get a binks he had for sale. well the Lord is faithful and it happened today 2 weeks after we 1st spoke. it ended up being a 83-5402 model which is a 5 gallon 110psi unit. (on the listing it said it was the 2.5 gallon model)

i have to say i am impressed...this unit is as HEAVY....its almost silly how heavy it is. just the lid is at least twice as heavy as the HF pressure pot i ended up returning.

i am concerned a little bit about a part that is sealed with a clump of silicon. worst case i will lay a heavy welding bead around it to seal it for ever and ever. the guy knocked off another $10 when i asked about the silicon so i got it delivered for $65...God is Good ;)

to all thanks for all the advice on pressure pots.

blessings!
craig

a few questions:

1- looks like the year is 79 i think? what type of metal is this?

2 - i love the way the 6 locks secure in place behind these raised welded areas.

3 - what is this used for?

4 - this is the part that has a bunch of silicon covering it which is in the middle of the lid in front of the pressure regulator.

5 - do you really need a regulator for pens? why not just use a t-connector with a guage and unplug the hose from the compress when you hit the desired pressure?

6 - with this thing so deep have people built racks to put into a pressure pot? i guess the shelves would be 3/4 plywood? how do you support each shelf?

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 327
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 226
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 222
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 231

SamThePenMan

I don't know much (if anything) about pressure pots, but I would think its cast iron, though I guess it could be steal. Doesn't really look like cast iron in the photos though.

If it is cast iron that makes welding it hard. When I was in a welding glass we tried welding some cast iron with steel wire/rods, it worked for a while, but 10-15minutes into the cooling period we heard a loud crack. I guess because the cast iron and steel cool at different rates. That being said I do believe you can get rods specifically for welding cast iron.

I like the welding spots for the locks as well.

My 2cents(or less since I know very little about casting) about using a regulator as opposed to a gauge and quick disconnect air hose, is I would think a regulator would just be more convenient, you don't have to really set around and wait for it to come up to pressure before unplugging the hose. Plus if there are any leaks you wouldn't have to keep checking on it.

I think I remember seeing some posts where members did setup shelfs in their pressure pots, though I don't remember exactly how they supported the shelfs, maybe just 2x4 legs, and plywood shelfs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom