Must be the BEST Piece I have ever done PITH PEN for ZanderPommo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chief Hill

Chief Hill

I had to blow it but here it is (ZanderPommo) Alex your Christmas PITH PEN.... I could not wait but this fine piece of hand made master craftsmanship is on the way to you.
Its one of the best well thought out fines writing instruments I have ever created. I even hand drew the design prior to creating it. Its a 24 kt Gold Cigar with hand created segments using aluminum, pickguard, X cut zebra dyed with food coloring, Bloodwood, Maple and a beautiful Burl with hand painted Christmas tree bulbs.

This Finish is also been customized as well on the top is a CA finish with 3 coats of med CA MM to 12000,
The bottom half has been done the same but heated to ensure a nice fit and wonderful grip. Like a comfort pen.

I hope you all like this pen I shed a tear sending it off to you Alex. Please leave me your comments on how much you like Alex's new PITH Pen as its on the way to him as we speak.
Any comments welcome. I worked liked crazy to get this done.

Attachments

• Picture 138.jpg
    Picture 138.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 389
  • Picture 149.jpg
    Picture 149.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 539
  • Picture 150.jpg
    Picture 150.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Picture 157.jpg
    Picture 157.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
That is a very nice pen. It is well thought out. There are some areas where the photography may be working against you. Some of the segmenting in picture #2 appears to be a tad off, and the finish on the lower barrel seems a bit dull, but then again, it is too dark to see the hand painted ornaments (at least on my monitor) so the pictures may be deceiving. I really like your choice of materials! They go very well together. You did a good job and I think anyone would love to receive that pen! I can see why you didn't want to give it up. Hey.......just go make one for yourself now!

jkeithrussell

That is a very nice pen. It is well thought out. There are some areas where the photography may be working against you. Some of the segmenting in picture #2 appears to be a tad off, and the finish on the lower barrel seems a bit dull, but then again, it is too dark to see the hand painted ornaments (at least on my monitor) so the pictures may be deceiving. I really like your choice of materials! They go very well together. You did a good job and I think anyone would love to receive that pen! I can see why you didn't want to give it up. Hey.......just go make one for yourself now!

I knew someone would fall for it.

mbroberg

:redface:
And here I was trying to be so nice and helpful

OK Got me
:embarrassed:

jkeithrussell

I don't know which is funnier -- the pen, or mbroberg's response. Either way, I've gotten a big kick out of this thread today. The "hand painted Christmas tree bulbs" really put this pen over the top. Excellent post.

JohnU

Your thought out planning paid off! A very nice one of a kind pen. Looks like you spent a lot of time glueing. Congrats on your success!

Rollerbob

So,Chief, you trying to make everyone else in the PITH exchange look bad?:question::biggrin: If so, mission accomplished!!:wink:

Chief Hill

I don't know which is funnier -- the pen, or mbroberg's response. Either way, I've gotten a big kick out of this thread today. The "hand painted Christmas tree bulbs" really put this pen over the top. Excellent post.

Haha... Lol. I agree 100%. I still see nice comments. If someone makes something really ugly and should know better, would you tell them? I guess not here eh! Lol.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I can't see the bulbs, but that might be my monitor.
You've had better luck with segmenting than I have!
Nice choice of materials, too. The pickguard breaks up
the lines. I gotta find me summa dat

mbroberg

Haha... Lol. I agree 100%. I still see nice comments. If someone makes something really ugly and should know better, would you tell them? I guess not here eh! Lol.

At least I feel better knowing that I was not alone in my belief that you probably didn't know better.:biggrin: I get:star: :star: :star: for trying to point out some flaws, nicely. :) Maybe others agree that it is some of your best work:eek::rotfl:!
Anyway, Good one! :biggrin: You cast the line and I, make that we, bit.

Last edited:

Daniel

Keep in mind, We actually tried out a cretique forum here where you could get some seriously thought out feedback on your work. It started wars. maybe being just nice is what works...Maybe?

razor524

I read the description (thought what a egotistical person), saw the pictures, read the description again, looked at the pictures again, said what the h__? and then read the "fall for it" entry. I was thinking I am new but I do not see the greatness. Kind of like some modern art!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Whether jokingly or not it's threads like this that stop people commenting on folks work.
Some people don't have an insulting bone in their bodies and I think you are VERY wrong to play with them. Some of these people may actually think it's good and others will give you positive comments to keep you encouraged.

If you really want to know just how good your work is, then just look at the number of times the thread has been read and compare it to the number of replies.

I know EXACLTY how something of mine will be recieved before I post it as my wife is my best critic. I may think that something I did was pretty cool but I know with 100% certainty that her opinion will be a match for the 'read v comments' ratio. Sometimes this dents my ego, but these are the ones I learn the most from.

Want my honest opinion of this pen? You don't have an album so I couldn't compare it to pics in there, so I searched all your SOYP threads.
My diplomatic answer is ' perhaps not your best work'
My blunt answer is...'Check the 'read / comments':wink:

Chief Hill

Whether jokingly or not it's threads like this that stop people commenting on folks work.
Some people don't have an insulting bone in their bodies and I think you are VERY wrong to play with them. Some of these people may actually think it's good and others will give you positive comments to keep you encouraged.

If you really want to know just how good your work is, then just look at the number of times the thread has been read and compare it to the number of replies.

I know EXACLTY how something of mine will be recieved before I post it as my wife is my best critic. I may think that something I did was pretty cool but I know with 100% certainty that her opinion will be a match for the 'read v comments' ratio. Sometimes this dents my ego, but these are the ones I learn the most from.

Want my honest opinion of this pen? You don't have an album so I couldn't compare it to pics in there, so I searched all your SOYP threads.
My diplomatic answer is ' perhaps not your best work'
My blunt answer is...'Check the 'read / comments':wink:

I am lauging at my pen here everyone.

I MADE THIS PEN AS A JOKE.... ITS CRAP AS I made it that way.... The finish sucks its pitted, scratched, the lower part was done with 2 coats of CA and then Burnt off with a lighter, I used sharpie markers to quickly put on red and green circles.
The majority see it for what it is A JOKE...... My best work uhhh I hope not my wife is also my QC Person, She laughed at it. I would expect anyone else here that has been pen making for over a year to see it as the same thing. Look at my website for my work some is there if you wish to see what I do. Basic work but good fit and finish.

jkeithrussell

Skip -- are you saying that if a lot of people look at the pen but not many post replies that it means the pen is bad? Sorry, but I don't buy that. I have seen many fantastic pens posted here that received almost no response. I personally look at almost every pen that is posted, but I seldom write a response.

Chief Hill

Skip -- are you saying that if a lot of people look at the pen but not many post replies that it means the pen is bad? Sorry, but I don't buy that. I have seen many fantastic pens posted here that received almost no response. I personally look at almost every pen that is posted, but I seldom write a response.

I was going to say the same thing as I don't reply all the time.
I know I do pretty good work but don't get upset if I don't get multiple pages of comments patting me on the back telling me it's good :biggrin: Just showing off some work is all. My customers and wallet tell me how good my work is.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Some of us have been taught "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything."

Daniel

Keith, I am the same as you. I look at most of them but do not comment unless something genuinely strikes me about the pen. some negative coments or suggestions for improvment are made by PM but for the general public I like to keep comments on the positive side. I do realize that most people are "Sinsative" about there artistry.
And like skiprat. if I want a real evaluation of my pens I just show them to my wife. she give not an inch and has no concern for my hurt feelings. But she does make sure no pen gets mailed without being flawless.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

The pen may not be bad at all, in fact it could be stunning but the photo may let it down. If the quality of the pen can't be seen from the pic then comments will be few. Also if someone posts a pen and doesn't ask for comments / critiques then there will be less response
But generally I do believe the ratio works.
I don't reply to EVERY pen posted either, but I do reply when I see something that I really like.
I also try to reply if I can offer something constructive.
I try not to reply when I have an 'active' post either. I don't want anyone simply swapping compliments. I'll wait till mine has faded into the background before telling them that I liked their pen, or sometimes I will send a pm.

My point was that it was unkind to play with the few folks that didn't get the joke:wink:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I didn't know what to think. In fact, when Keith mentioned it being a joke, I cringed.
I don't know Chief well enough to know if it is a joke or not. And many people were
probably in the same boat. And I didn't see a reply, so I still didn't know if it was a
joke or not. Strange position to be in.. I don't want to post a false compliment, yet
there were things in it worth mentioning (even on a bad monitor)

and more than a few of us posted some early attempts that might not look much
different than this one.. posts I'm sure we wish we could take back..

You've got to love a good sense of humor and the ability to laugh at one self. I loved it...the post:wink: not the pen:eek: that is! It is hard to tell when one is joking on the computer so I can see both sides.

jkeithrussell

Chief posted to a few threads where people were joking about what they were sending in the exchange. In that context, it was obvious to me that he was joking. Plus, I've seen a lot of the pens that he has posted and he does great work. Being a sarcastic person myself, I could easily see the sarcasm in his post. I certainly didn't mean to be rude or unkind to mbroberg, and judging by his good-natured response, I don't think he took offense. I personally find the thread to be very funny and harmless. I've been following the thread and chuckling all day.

Chief Hill

Chief posted to a few threads where people were joking about what they were sending in the exchange. In that context, it was obvious to me that he was joking. Plus, I've seen a lot of the pens that he has posted and he does great work. Being a sarcastic person myself, I could easily see the sarcasm in his post. I certainly didn't mean to be rude or unkind to mbroberg, and judging by his good-natured response, I don't think he took offense. I personally find the thread to be very funny and harmless. I've been following the thread and chuckling all day.

Me too laughing all day long...
I do hope we have an Ugly pen contest. I would love it. Also I really do appeciate polite critism when someone has a decent pen that needs some fine "tuning" telling someone great job if it's obviously terrible won't help the person If there lookin for advice. But I also understand the "fine line" you have to travel when typing.

GoodTurns

I didn't know what to think. In fact, when Keith mentioned it being a joke, I cringed.
I don't know Chief well enough to know if it is a joke or not. And many people were
probably in the same boat. And I didn't see a reply, so I still didn't know if it was a
joke or not. Strange position to be in.. I don't want to post a false compliment, yet
there were things in it worth mentioning (even on a bad monitor)

and more than a few of us posted some early attempts that might not look much
different than this one.. posts I'm sure we wish we could take back..

I was in that boat...hoping that he didn't think he had made some creative breakthrough...did not want to post discouraging comments, but we definitely have a front-runner for the UPC this year!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Do both at once. I love it when people do that.
except you don't know whether to laugh with them
or tell them everything will be alright. It's kinda
awkward.
On second thought, don't do it.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Do both at once. I love it when people do that.
except you don't know whether to laugh with them
or tell them everything will be alright. It's kinda
awkward.
On second thought, don't do it.

Charlie, with the possible exception of Ed you always offer the most useful advice on IAP. :biggrin:

ZanderPommo

wow! that pen is awesome!
i come home from school and see this pen you made my day!!!
i sent yours out today, and if you're going to spoil it than so am I.
here is your 2009 PITH pen. i didn't like the color too much so i fixed it.
here it is fresh out of the microwave (man that flashed like the fourth of July!)

P1010165.jpg

PTownSubbie

wow! that pen is awesome!
i come home from school and see this pen you made my day!!!
i sent yours out today, and if you're going to spoil it than so am I.
here is your 2009 PITH pen. i didn't like the color too much so i fixed it.
here it is fresh out of the microwave (man that flashed like the fourth of July!)

You owe me a new computer!!! I just spit my Coke all over the keyboard!!:eek:

Top Bottom