More Texas Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeithrussell

jkeithrussell

I've been working hard to perfect a system for making these Texas Flag pens, and thought I'd share the most recent batch. All are Jr. Gents.

For the trademark police, the Longhorn pens are for my personal use only -- they aren't being offered for sale or given away as gifts. I tried to make the Longhorn version out of white PR, but it is just not flexible enough to use as an insert.

Attachments

• Jr. Gent Black Ti Texas Star.jpg
    Jr. Gent Black Ti Texas Star.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Jr. Gent Black Ti Texas Star2.jpg
    Jr. Gent Black Ti Texas Star2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Jr. Gent Rhod Longhorn.jpg
    Jr. Gent Rhod Longhorn.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Jr. Gent Rhod Longhorn2.jpg
    Jr. Gent Rhod Longhorn2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 154
  • Jr. Gent Rhod PR Texas Star.jpg
    Jr. Gent Rhod PR Texas Star.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Jr. Gent Rhod PR Texas Star2.jpg
    Jr. Gent Rhod PR Texas Star2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Jr. Gent TiGold Longhorn.jpg
    Jr. Gent TiGold Longhorn.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Jr. Gent Ti Gold Longhorn2.jpg
    Jr. Gent Ti Gold Longhorn2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

Those look great! I'm wondering how you are cutting out the stars or the longhorns? Are they cut with a laser engraver like the kits that are currently available or have you found a less expensive method?

John

jkeithrussell

Those look great! I'm wondering how you are cutting out the stars or the longhorns? Are they cut with a laser engraver like the kits that are currently available or have you found a less expensive method?

John

I turn the barrel down to 5/8" (using my new collet chuck set!) and send them to an engraver. It costs $5 per barrel, plus shipping. I've done 2 batches to get them in some quantity to cut down on shipping charges and to have some on-hand for when I want to make them. For the wood pens, it costs less than a buck for the plain white maple, plus $5 per stick for the red dyed and blue dyed maple. One piece each of red, blue, and natural yields 2 pens. So the total cost in materials and shipping for one of these with a Jr. Gent kit is about $25-30.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
VERY nice, Keith! I haven't found the time or the courage to try one yet, but I've got some of the dyed wood waiting on me to build up my fortitude! :rolleyes:

And, oh yeah, the longhorn in and of itself, especially in WHITE, shouldn't violate any trademarks...it's too widely used to represent the State according to the articles I've read. Just FYI! :biggrin:

TomW

Keith,

Those are sweet pens!!

I've made it a four whole days without making a longhorn comment, but if you WERE worried about trademarks.... you could "saw 'em off" !:biggrin:

Regards,
Tom

nytefaii

Very nice pens indeed!

Where can that type of Jr Gent kit be ordered? When I look them up online, it looks like they have the black plastic threads?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

jkeithrussell

Very nice pens indeed!

Where can that type of Jr Gent kit be ordered? When I look them up online, it looks like they have the black plastic threads?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

These kits are all from CSUSA. They are the Black Ti, Ti Gold, and Rhodium. None have the black threads. I think the black threads only come on the standard gold version.

Top Bottom