More Duck Calls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
IN this pict, the first call on the left is Macassar Ebony, the next is Cocobolo for my Son in Law. Then the Zebrawood that was posted a couple of weeks ago. On the right is a purpleheart that my granddaughter requested.

In front is a call made from moose horn that I acquired while in Alaska last year. Grandson was with me in Alaska, so he gets this one too.

tn_5%20Duck%20Calls.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Lee,
You beat me to it, I have some Axis horn that is big enough to drill with the 3/4 in hole for the tone chamber (as soon as I figure a way to drill it.. I normally use a spade bit, but doesn't work on the horn very well)
How does the horn call sound compared to the others? They are all spectacular!!!!

edit: I'm getting ready for a show that I did last year and the duck calls were my best seller... thinking the horn in either a duck or deer grunt should go over well.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Hi Lee,
You beat me to it, I have some Axis horn that is big enough to drill with the 3/4 in hole for the tone chamber (as soon as I figure a way to drill it.. I normally use a spade bit, but doesn't work on the horn very well)
How does the horn call sound compared to the others? They are all spectacular!!!!

edit: I'm getting ready for a show that I did last year and the duck calls were my best seller... thinking the horn in either a duck or deer grunt should go over well.

The horn call sounds a little richer to me, but still very similar to the others. I used a 3/4 forstner bit in a chuck on the tail stock of my lathe. The forstner bits turn very smooth thorugh wood and the horn. I do need a bit extension so that I don't have to stop and turn the horn around. I will purchase one while in the states beginning later this week. Going home to visit family and pick up a few more tools. [:D]

LOML has given me approval to buy a Triton Powered Respirator ($189 @ Amazon) as I have been sneezing and very allergy prone with each turning. It is mostly the CA fumes and dust but I love the finish.

Boomer

What finish did you use on the calls? I have always wanted to turn a few calls for myself and friends to use in the field. I am going to try making some later this summer.

Dave
Cedar Rapids Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom