Meeting May 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

Recently I have been having discussions with Woodworld to host our meetings and getting a more active chapter going. I had some delays due to recent health issues. Ive spent the last 2 weekends in the hospital having some tests ran.

I called today and have tentatively set up the meetings for the first weekend in May. Then every 3 months. That will get the dates set and we can hopefully move in a more productive future. So we would have dates of May August November February.

As details come in I will update.

If you can attend please reply in this thread.

Thanks,
James

Ps ... This is 3 weeks or so away. So please let us know so we have an idea of how many may be attending. It is a rush, but I am really wanting to move forward and get things started.

I will also be looking for volunteers for demos and such at the meetings.

LL Woodworks

Thanks James for organizing this - I've wondered what happened to our Texas Chapter, I'll be there. I've never been to woodworld so I'll need an adress

qballizhere

Thanks James for organizing this - I've wondered what happened to our Texas Chapter, I'll be there. I've never been to woodworld so I'll need an adress
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Bring your wallet you will need it.

It will be good to get them set up with the new owners. They are bringing in more and more new things for turning. Woodworld is located at
13650 TI Boulevard #101 Dallas, TX 75243 972-669-9130

I will be there count me in.

Phunky_2003

Still working on finishing up some details.

Woodworld opens at 9am on Saturdays, I believe. I was thinking of having the meeting start at 10am. That will give us time to set up and get things in order.

I will be posting updates as we go along...

Phunky_2003

Anyone have any particular demos they would like to see?

Also think of future demos and bring those ideas to the meeting so we can work on future demos and getting people lined up for demos...

plano_harry

I would like to see James demo casting. :) He has some nice blanks on his website.

By the way, for us new comers, what are the guidelines for the blank exchange?

Harry

Phunky_2003

I can do a small casting demo, I dont see a problem with it. I will call and verify with them at woodworld to make sure they dont have an issue with it. The smell can linger for a little while.

They do have lathes for demos so anybody wanting a demo or wanting to volunteer for a demo speak up.

As far as the blank exchange. Bring a quality blank to put on the table, we will draw numbers to see who gets choice of blank in a random order. In the last meeting Seamus had a quarter blank. There were tru stone blanks, snakeskin blanks ect.

Phunky_2003

Looks like the date will work for me. why not post a notice (in another forum) so more members from the area will get the news?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Looking forward to you being there Don.

Grab that kid (Seamus) and drag him along. Would either of you volunteer for a demo? Going to try to keep things simple this time until we get one meeting under our belts here.

its_virgil

I will be there. I can do a demo: slimline modifications, closed end pens, snake skin or label casting, CA finish: pick one, two, all, none. I would do a quarter blank but Seamus only allows me to do penny blanks...I mean he says my quarter blanks aren't worth two cents.:biggrin::biggrin: actually, I leave the coins to Seamus. He does such a great job with them!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Looks like the date will work for me. why not post a notice (in another forum) so more members from the area will get the news?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Grab that kid (Seamus) and drag him along. Would either of you volunteer for a demo? Going to try to keep things simple this time until we get one meeting under our belts here.

plano_harry

That's great news Don! I think I have read all of your articles, but I would enjoy watching you do closed end pens, snake skin or label casting live. I will stay as long as you are willing to demo :) I will even pay extra to see Seamus saw a quarter!

See you Saturday,
Harry

Phunky_2003

Don,

That sounds great!! I am good with you doing more than one demo. I will still do a casting demo, so if you want to do a snake skin casting demo too then I will have everything needed except the skin.

The closed end demo and slim mod demo sound great, Ive been wanting to get into closed end pens lately and just havent done it.

Edit the casting demo I will be doing will be on color casting.

Last edited:

brez

I would like to see a demo of lable casting.

Thanks
Mike

I will be there. I can do a demo: slimline modifications, closed end pens, snake skin or label casting, CA finish: pick one, two, all, none. I would do a quarter blank but Seamus only allows me to do penny blanks...I mean he says my quarter blanks aren't worth two cents.:biggrin::biggrin: actually, I leave the coins to Seamus. He does such a great job with them!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Do a good turn daily!
Don

lsweeney

Blank swap

We had one at a group that I was at, All the blanks were in a box with a hand hole and you had to take what you grabbed. That way all the best ones didn't go to the first #s called.

Last edited:

qballizhere

Last year I still say it was rigged. Think tom held back #1 to go first after he saw the qtr blank. LMAO seriously tom I know you didnt do that.

its_virgil

I will come prepared to do some slimline mods, closed end pens, label and skin casting and will do what ever you guys want to see. I certainly don't want to use all of the time but I will be delighted to share whatever.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

seamus7227

James (Phunky_2003) is doing his casting demo

2012-05-05 10.25.55.jpg

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Bushwacker

I had a grand time yesterday. Many thanks to James and Don for their demos. Very interesting and I learned a great deal. Enjoyed meeting everyone - couldn't believe how fast time passed. I had to leave at 2:00 pm and ya'll were stilling going. It was fantastic! When are we going to do another one?

its_virgil

I too had a great time and it was nice to put faces with names. Its always fun to meet IAP members for the first time. I hope those who attened had a fun time and learned a little about penturning. I am looking forward to the next meeting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

plano_harry

The meeting was great! As a new turner, I really enjoyed getting to ask lots of questions and getting to connect faces with the IAP names I have been learning from since joining in January. Now I have to make a closed end pen before August...:eek:

Harry

Top Bottom