McLaren Vale Shiraz Red VINE pen and stand...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Recently I purchased some tree work equipment from WesSpur Tree Equipment in the USA, company that I have been buying gear from, for over 3 years. This time, I had a big messed up order and I had to resort to the Business owner Ryan to sort the mess for me, which he did promptly and successfully...!

In our communications (emails) I promised Ryan a gift for is quality customer service and great ability of problems resolution (that explains why he is the owner, huh...???). I asked him if a hand made pen, made from my local Vine wood, would be OK and he seemed excited with the offer so, I got a twist pen mechanism system (has Ryan requested as this preferred type pen), dressed it with a piece of my Vine and then I decided to make a stand with the same piece of vine I used for the pen.

I wanted it to look as natural as possible, and I wanted to keep the loose bark strings as features but, I quickly realise that wasn't going to work as the bark (outer surface of the vine) had to be coated with something, otherwise Customs could reject to clear the parcel, as no wood bark untreated or uncoated is allowed to be exported.

Anyway, I was doing this stand late in the evening and I wanted to post the parcel in the morning so, I had to get going. I wanted something also simple and resembling as much as possible what the stand was made of and when it came to making the upright stand post, I realise that I didn't have what I needed, and that was, a small diameter twisted piece of Vine, that I could use whole as the post so, I had to do with what I had and that was to glue a couple of pieces together to have the bark showing at least in to faces/edges.

I used a thin coat of Floorseal on the stand and than took it inside the house and in front of the firewood place where the heat would dry it through the night.

In the morning, the stand was nice and dry, wrap the whole thing in a small box and posted it. Has been a week so, the box should arrive shortly and I'm looking forwards to hear what he says when he receive it...!

Hope you like this simple pen and stand...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 019_(1).JPG
    019_(1).JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 020_(1).JPG
    020_(1).JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 016_(1).JPG
    016_(1).JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

SDB777

Vine is always a cool material to use. Got some Arkansas Grapevine here in the stash that is beautiful when finished....and you have inspired me to make one this coming weekend!!!

Scott

Top Bottom