Maple Hardwood Flooring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

they are laying a mountain of Maple hardwood flooring where I work(three Basketball courts).
So of course I had to drift by now and then. Got into a conversation with the owner of the company doing the work and one of the guys I work with brought up that i made pens out of wood. the owner brightened up and lead me to a side room. piled in the middle of the floor where all the cut offs they had accumulated. and He told me to help myself to anything I wanted. It ws less waste that he had to haul off.
Now hardwood flooring has suprisingly little waste. and them finding grain sutable for pens is even harder. so I had to sort through alot of wood to find a few small pieces. what I got wold fill a small garbage can about half full. but most of it is really nice wood.and it was Free,
I will post some pictures of the blanks when I am through cutting them.
there are a couple of pieces that almost look like a Burl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Daniel,
in my photo folder is a picture of 4 pens that were made from maple flooring for our gym where I teach. There is 60,000 ft and I wish i had a place to store it. I found one section that was birdseye and I am geting as much of that as I can store. Have fun. I have been dying some of the pens and the maple dyes very nicely.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Daniel

Don,
I know I had seen someone else post a message about Maple flooring.
I wish I could have hauled the whole pile away but didn't have the time or the space. I missed getting in on a floor that was being torn out last year. (also a gym floor) it was being trucked off as fast as the ripped it out. I gotta get into the dyes. they can make alot of wood very usable.
Have you dane any double dying I am intersted in finding out how it is done and what color combinations work best.
ahh well anouther topic

Rudy Vey

Close where I live is a "Lumber Liquidator". They sell very exotic wood flooring. Told the guy I need some samples to take home to my wife to show her, got some very nice Bloodwood and Ipe.
Rudy

Scott

I've been doing some dyeing lately. I got a starter kit of the Chestnut Spirit Stains from Craft Supplies through Bill Baumbeck. I had some nice curly maple blanks I've been having fun turning, then dyeing. I did one where it was red at the middle of the pen, and faded to blue at the two ends. I also have a pastel one with green and red. It is a lot of fun, and I will be experimenting with it more in the future!

Daniel - good deal on the maple flooring! That should do you for a while!

Scott.

Daniel

Scott,
I hope it lasts for a while. I tried to pick pieces that I will use in "select Pens" the titanium gold, nothing less than $15.00 a kit type of wood. Post a picture of your fading Blank will you. sounds like a creative idea... Is that redundant? Creative/idea. sounds like it could be to me.

Scott

Hi Daniel,

I've had a picture in my album for a while. Here it is:

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20044161975_colorpens2.jpg
<br />

The top one is the pastel one I mentioned. What made it come out pastel was that I used a sealer coat of CA like I usually do, and it made it so the stains didn't soak in as far.

Scott.

Daniel

I remember them now. the blue and red looks just like I imagined it. Nice effect. makes a real different twist for the freedom pen ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom