Majestic Ice Age Mosaic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's an Ice Age Mosaic Blank, genuine mammoth ivory cast in a urethane resin, from Ankrom Exotics. It's on a Majestic Rollerball. Smells a bit making it. After turning, started by sanding to 600 grit and then MM (dry) from 1500 to 12000 grit. Cleaned with rubbing alcohol and dried. Put 2 coats of thin CA followed by 8 coats of medium CA. Then MM (wet) from 1500 to 12000 grit followed by HUT Plastic Polish. Had fun. Hope you like it. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Majestic Ice Age Mosaic_2.jpg
    Majestic Ice Age Mosaic_2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Majestic Ice Age Mosaic_1.jpg
    Majestic Ice Age Mosaic_1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Majestic Ice Age Mosaic.jpg
    Majestic Ice Age Mosaic.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now there you go. That background is so much better than the black by 10000% We get to see the true pen with the kit. Thanks for showing and nice work.

arw01

Doc, that is a sharp pen there. When you say you sand MM wet, what "wetting" agent are you using? Plain waiter, rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits? I've been chicken to use water with CA. Last pen used a bit of mineral spirits instead. It got the shine I wanted, but I must have handled the pen too soon after the CA was one, because I ended up with a full dull spots as well.

76winger

Really nice looking blank with a good contrast between the ivory and the black. And it looks great on the Black TN Majestic as well.

ctubbs

Doc, you did it again! Beautiful pen. The blank and hardware go together wonderfully and your fit and finish is just your magnificent standard. I am also glad you changed your background for this pen as the black one would have made the pen turn into white blobs hanging in thin air. Overall, just your normal wonderful job.

Doc, that is a sharp pen there. When you say you sand MM wet, what "wetting" agent are you using? Plain waiter, rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits? I've been chicken to use water with CA. Last pen used a bit of mineral spirits instead. It got the shine I wanted, but I must have handled the pen too soon after the CA was one, because I ended up with a full dull spots as well.

Alan, anytime I get dull spots in my CA finish, it is because of a sand thru. It just means that I didn't put enough CA on or rubbed thru to the substrate. Either one will make me the not so proud owner of dull spots. As usual, YMMV.
Charles

mrburls

Great looking pen Doc. Pen kit goes well with colors in blank. I too like the white back ground. Really shows off your work.

Keith "mrburls"

wiset1

Really fantastic pen! I need to find a blank like this...just the historic value alone is worth it. Great look

wizard

Thank you for the kind words. The wetting agent I use with the Micro Mesh is plain water. I use accelerator between coats. I let the last coat sit for an hour after the accelerator to ensure that the surface is hard enough for the Micro Mesh. Charles is correct in mentioning the use of enough coats of CA to prevent wear through and dulling. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom