Made to fit molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I recently made a number of re-usable molds for casting my cactus pen blanks and thought I would share with those interested. I went downt o Wally World and bought one of those big, white, cutting boards that are about 1/2" thick. The one I bought is made from HDPE and is pretty slick. The nice thing is that so far, nothing sticks to it, including Alumilite, CA, and epoxy but I am not sure about PR but would guess it would not stick either.

Ayway, I cut it on my tablesaw to make a square mold with square sides exactly the size I need. I then screwed the pieces together so that I could easily take it apart to remove the stubborn casting is I needed to. It works great and cuts down on the amount of wasted resin.

Here is a picture:

2006101125344_Casting%20mold.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

I assume it fits together snug enough so the resin doesn't seep out around the edges? Great idea. Thanks for sharing! I have access to this same stuff at work. [:p][;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Though I don't cast I use this stuff in my glue ups as a working surface.Also as a spacer or forms for bent lamintantions.
Eventually if the surface becomes abraded or otherwise rough, I have found CA will stick to it.Scraping the CA off causes more abrasions, more sticking.
Cover the pieces with clear packing tape and you'll find that nothing will stick to it and keep the surfaces clean, The tape will come right off.

Dario

Great idea Curtis!

Eagles, idea is also neat. In tandem, one of these should last a really long time!

Are the sides square or is the "box" flared/wider by the opening?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />Curtis, do you know whether UHMW will work as well?
UMHW(the bread board stuff) IS something I also use in conjunction witht he packing tape.
Even without the tape acetone plexi nor CA will stick to it for a PErmanent bond.
It is easily "popped" off.

Dario

Originally posted by arioux
<br />Hi,

Neat idea. Did you consider using butterfly nut on one of the side? Should make it easier when you want to remove a side.

Alfred

Also the bottom parts....maybe use hinges?

M

Mudder

Very good idea!

I have some of that stuff lying around and now I have found a use for it.

Thanks for sharing this one.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Great idea Curtis!

Eagles, idea is also neat. In tandem, one of these should last a really long time!

Are the sides square or is the "box" flared/wider by the opening?
If it comes apart it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom