M3---mokume

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Here is my new best seller--hopefully---well maybe--ok --I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Blanks are called M-3 Mokume----still getting them little air bubbles that are going to hurt the price---but we will have to see.
I needed to get these done for a show coming up in two weeks.

200819201738_mk1.jpg

200819201838_mk2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Gary that's just glare---I took 20 pics just to get these two.
Heck you made me get up and pull the pens back out---looks like polish and a bad fit in the pic. But that's not the case.

GaryMGg

Gary,
I didn't figure you'd spend what those blanks must cost and then <b>not</b> turn 'em to fit.
You didn't think I thought that, did'ja?!? [:0]
What other colors do they come in?

Gary Max

Lets try a close up

200819215616_mk3.jpg
<br />
This is from the same guy that had them on Ebay.
Every blank that I have turned is a different color.
Remember---they still have tiny air bubbles.

MHKogan

Gary,
The pens are beautiful and if you got some that still have air bubbles then we will send you replacements. All blanks coming out of our factory are now 100% bubble free.

The copper will darken and patina over time with use which just makes them look even better. We do still sell from time to time on eBay but we have launched our new website www.MetalPenBlanks.com . We will also be doing another "Group Buy" here on the forum in a few days when we release "M3 Damascus".

Good luck with the show,
Mike

OKLAHOMAN

Gary, very good looking, the one I made came out great colorwise more of a mauve than pink. Is it just the photo?

200819224122_1.jpg
<br />

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />Very nice, wasn't sure pink on a mans pen would be the way to go. But it does look nice.

Steve, I am shocked at you.[:0] Being from the Pacific Northwest, I thought you would know that is salmon![:p]

Mike

Gary Max

I tell you the trick behind these---all you need is someone who knows what Mokume is. That in itself should sell the pen.
They are great to turn---Drill slow---sharp tools--just your basic take your time.
Mike --- I would love to try out the Damascus[:D]

DozerMite

Banned
Those look really nice.
I don't know about $35 though. I would probably mess it up.

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Jim you catch Mike when he is having a group buy---helps a bunch.[:)]

Maybe next time then Gary. I have emailed with Mike, nice guy, but even I find $35-40 a real stretch for me...I have heard he will have some Damascus "like" material in the near term, I will have to see what they look like...I am surprised that these have hole issues though...[:0]

How much were they in the group buy?

Gary Max

Jim the bubbles ain't something Mike is real happy about either----but the guy stands behind his blanks---if it ain't right he will fix it.
You are right about the price but I look at it as a investment in a quality product----heck that even sounds good.

Gary Max

This line of pens start at $200.00 and go up. You know the deal---FP's cost more---Gold nibs add $75.00---and more. I am really wanting to add a high end line to my inventory the fastest way I know is to spend more money.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by fernhills
<br />If the blank starts out at 35$ and the high end low kit price of 35$ what wood you sell the pen for[?] Carl

Hi Carl, Looks like Gary used Barons and a Jr Statesman kit, all under $23 instead of the high end kits. Personally I wouldn't use these blanks in a high end kit where the blank had to compete with the glitz of the pen embellishments.

That aside though, I think one reaches a point where the cost of materials is secondary to the end result. These are truly unique blanks, that probably won't be found on every craft show table next to the $30 slimlines and $70 rollerballs.

louisbry

Great looking pens and the blanks are certainly different. My only drawback is the blanks cost more than I can sell my pens for where I live. Maybe I will get one for myself.

Gary Max

Louis I have the same trouble---the trick----haul them to where the money is. Like you I can drive a 100 miles and be in a new market place.

louisbry

Thanks for the tip Gary. I have to try something because my inventory just keeps growing because I am addicted to turning. Don't want to steal your thread - your pens are just beautiful, especially the higher end ones.

Gary Max

Good looking pens Bill---I sent one of the pens to Mike---I am waiting on replacement the blanks----I want to see the Damascus. Outside the holes---this is nice stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom