Lynn's Floating Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timdaleiden

Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

This is the second time I have seen someone using this photo editing trick. It looks really cool. The pen is also very nice and unique. Lynn, your going to have to tell us about the pen and the photo effect. PLEASE!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Tim,
You seem to be using the shadow trick now, how about telling the rest of us how to do it?
Bob S.

It's actually very simple. You just need the right software (and a bit of helium[:p]). I used a free trial version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro version 8. The background is selected, and cleared (and filled in some cases). The "selection" is then inverted and a 3D drop down shadow effect is added, and adjusted. Bingo...floating pen. Rich over at Yahoo penturners posted on how to angle the shadow, which adds something to the effect. I have done a few more photos like this, and they are getting better each time. This photo program seems top notch, and is less than $100.00 if you decide to purchase it. It's free for 30 days.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Tim,
You seem to be using the shadow trick now, how about telling the rest of us how to do it?
Bob S.

Here is a more detailed explanation.

Here is a brief tutorial for adding a drop shadow using Jasc Paint Shop Pro version 8. It turned out to be a 12 step program for some reason. :)

Step 1: Photograph your pen using a high contrast solid background. A sheet of white paper works well for many pens. Download image to your computer and open with PSP 8.
Step 2: Adjust photo brightness as usual.
Step 3: Use magic wand to select background. Hit delete key on your keyboard. That usually gets rid of about half of the background for me. Select the next large area with wand, and delete it. Continue until only small blotches of former background are left.
Step 4: Selection menu: (click on) Select none.
Step 5: Use either the background eraser, or white paintbrush to remove remaining background. Zoom in very close, and make sure you remove any actual shadow or remaining background near pen image.
Step 6: Image menu: (click on) Free rotate and adjust to your liking.
Step 7: Use magic wand to select background again.
Step 8: Selection menu: (click on) Invert.
Step 9: Layers menu: (click on) New raster layer.
Step 10: Effects menu: (click on) 3D effects/drop shadow. Adjust drop shadow properties to your liking.
Step 11: Selection menu: (click on) Select none.
Step 12: Image menu: (click on) Free rotate and adjust shadow to your liking, making sure you uncheck “All Layers†box first.

Steps 9 and 12 allows you to add an angle to the shadow which adds something to the effect. Thanks again Rich at Yahoo.

If you want to add a fill background, you would do that after step 7.

If you are unhappy with results of any step, hold down control key (ctrl) and click on the “Z†key. This will back you up to a point where you want to start over again.

Daniel

Tim,
I just followed your instructions through Microsoft Digital image pro 9
although the items are found in different areas it worked just the same. I only had to select the background twice to eleminate the whole thing. getting rid of the traces of shadow ws a pain adn I think the shadow selection is different. it falls more on level with the frame. I need to look at some of the other shadow effects pictures.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by pecartus
<br />Tim,

The star pen is so cool, did it take you awhile to learn this technique? Can you do this with larger items than pens?

The technique is really just a software trick. I copied the idea from a recent photo that Jay Pickens posted in his Guild gallery. His looks better than mine. I asssume it can be used for any object that can be pulled from a background. It's pretty simple once the former backgound is gone.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by pecartus
<br />I am going to try this out, can you do this from the Jasc software or do it from a different software?

You need Jasc, plus a plug in called "Eye Candy 4000". You can get a demo version from the manufacturers website. They don't let you save your work from this particular effect, but I pulled a screen shot off of it that was sufficient for web publishing. Here's another one without the starfield that I added by hand in my first one.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20047613921_starburst.jpg
<br /> 23.17&nbsp;KB

tipusnr

I am boggled by how innovative some of you are getting with your pen photographs. Very impressive. Hope no one minds if mine stay simple. I don't have the time or desire to do these kinds of graphics.

But, please, you all keep it up. I really do find it amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom