Looking for a good reco on a Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

barrysj

So I'm in the market for a good bandsaw. I dare to say I have a "shop", it's more of half of a garage where I pretend to make pens.

I don't have a lot of room and would love to get a table top bandsaw like the rikon http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080327/28906/Rikon-10-Bench-Top-Bandsaw-Model-10305.aspx but I'm worried that it is too "flimsy". I'm concerned that I won't be able to set the components well enough to get a straight cut.

So...has anyone used this table top rikon and or does anyone have any recommendations on a standalone that is reasonably priced, but has good accuracy and nice fence setup? I don't need an industrial band saw that can rip a barn in half, just stuff to work with 4" high at the max lumber and small wood for making pens, but something that is very accurate.

Thanks,

-Dude

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

HI;
I found on craig's list some time ago a HF 14" band saw for $100. Pretty happy with it and it I also have 'part' of a garage where I pretend to turn 'stuff'. It don't take a lot of room, and makes a pretty straight cut if I don't 'push' the stuff through.
just my 2 cents worth.

Lenny

I have heard good things about Rikon as far as their service goes but I too would recommend you check CL for a used saw. I would watch for an older Delta. I have seen them for only a little more than what the Rikon would be.
Bandsaws can be finicky, even new ones will benefit from a tune-up.

OOPS

My niece has the Rikon band saw you are looking at. She loves hers and uses it for cutting pen blanks and bottle stoppers, etc. My dad has the 14" Rikon and it is fine for his needs too. I have found that accuracy depends on how well you set up the machine when you get it. I remember "tuning up" my dad's saw; which took about an hour's worth of time with the manual in hand. Its well worth reading the manual for best results.

I am not thrilled with the factory fence on the Rikon. I have been told that band saw fences are like table saw fences in that the ones from the factory should be replaced with good ones. My dad did not replace his, although his table saw has an upgraded fence, and he uses it for all of his important cuts.

Jet also makes a small tabletop bandsaw, and Woodcraft often has one or the other on sale. Others have posted about getting a used saw or an inexpensive one from HF. I would suggest that you look above and below the table on any saw you wish to purchase and examine their setup for keeping the band true while you are attempting to saw. Once I had "tuned up" my Dad's, I looked at others and was surprised at the poor quality of some of the saws on the market, at least in this regard. If your band flexes while you're cutting, your accuracy suffers.

I hope this helps in your search.

spanky239

I have 2 bandsaw an old Delta 14" and a Skil 9". My work horse is the Delta I use the skil for small jobs. It sound like the skil would work for your needs. It cost me on Maui (everything is more expensive here on Maui) $140.00 at Lowes. What I like about the saw is that it has a built in light and laser for stright cuts. But which ever saw you buy you will need to tune it up.

Aloha & Mahalo

Stacey

renowb

I also have a Skil. It is basically a fair saw, does what I want and that is to cut blanks. Bigger stuff, not so good. It fits on the table top and does not need much room. I also have the Skil drill press right next to it. Saves a lot of space.

I have 2 bandsaw an old Delta 14" and a Skil 9". My work horse is the Delta I use the skil for small jobs. It sound like the skil would work for your needs. It cost me on Maui (everything is more expensive here on Maui) $140.00 at Lowes. What I like about the saw is that it has a built in light and laser for stright cuts. But which ever saw you buy you will need to tune it up.

Aloha & Mahalo

Stacey

ossaguy

I have the Jet 10 inch,and I've been happy with it.It costs more but seemed better made than the Craftsman that I looked at.I needed a small,compact unit.It has a lot of nice features.

Steve

Top Bottom