Lilac casting flopped

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

After seeing Curtis's casting of Bluebonnets I thought I would steal the idea (after all I stole his cactus;)) and cast some lilac that my wife grows in a flower bed.They were a nice deep purple and I cast them with my normal PR.Well it seems that PR and fresh flowers don't mix. The flowers and the stems all turned mostly white and some very light lavender.My guess is that when you add the catalist that the heat created cooks the tender fowers. Oh well mark one up for Alumilite. OK Curtis now you can say I TOLD YOU SO;)[}:)]

200761202746_LILAC.jpg
Photo added.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Roy,

Actually, I think your problem was that the flowers were not 100% dry. Did you dry them in the toaster oven like I suggested? If they were not 100% dry then honestly, Alumilite would not have worked either! It gets real hot as well! Try it again with thoroughly dried flowers and I bet you will have better luck!

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks Curtis, I did not do as you suggested[B)], I let them dry for 2 days in the shop. I will try the toaster oven this week and let you know how much color was lost in the oven.

les-smith

Roy,

Are you going to turn them anyways and see how they turn out? I know the color isn't what you wanted, but you never know what you might get.

OKLAHOMAN

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by les-smith
<br />Roy,

Are you going to turn them anyways and see how they turn out? I know the color isn't what you wanted, but you never know what you might get.

redfishsc

Lol, I have a feeling some of those flowers are going to start to rot a bit. I doubt the PR resin had enough solvent nor heat to totally sterilize the material and the moisture remnant may cause you a bit of a headache.

Nice try though. Good idea. Sprinkle in a few daisy or buttercup petals next time for some good yellow contrast.

OKLAHOMAN

Les asked me if I was going to turn one of these and today this is the result of that turning. I painted the tube bright white along with the inside of the blank, you can still see a little of the lilac color

200762223134_DSCF00291.jpg
<br />
Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN
<br />After seeing Curtis's casting of Bluebonnets I thought I would steal the idea (after all I stole his cactus[;)]) and cast some lilac that my wife grows in a flower bed.They were a nice deep purple and I cast them with my normal PR.Well it seems that PR and fresh flowers don't mix. The flowers and the stems all turned mostly white and some very light lavender.My guess is that when you add the catalist that the heat created cooks the tender fowers. Oh well mark one up for Alumilite. OK Curtis now you can say I TOLD YOU SO[;)][}:)]

200761202746_LILAC.jpg
Photo added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom