Lacquer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

I turned some pens and boxes out of Holly and would like to keep the white color of the wood. I was thinking about putting a spray lacquer finish on them. Would the lacquer change the color like most finishes do or would it stay near the same color?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

I use a spray lacquer for my larger items like duck calls and lamps. It will darken the wood just slightly as the solvent is adsorbed, but it will hold the color very close. Make sure you use a good quality lacquer as some will yellow with age....of coarse Holly will do that anyway [8D].

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Water thin CA might work better. I've got a pen that I just did this to a couple of weeks ago...clearly not enough time to give you definitive results, but others have reported that this stuff holds other colors well. Here's wishing us both good luck.

woodman928

Solvent biased Lacquers will give you an amber tint that's what makes the grain standout. However water biased Lacquers will generally be water white and not add any color to it.
Jay

dw

This set of a Euro RB and a Euro FP in Osage Orange was finished with Enduro WB poly lacquer from Compliant Systems. I am a lousey photographer and I do this without a special set up. To make matters worse catching the brilliance of the lacquer finish on the OO is difficult to capture because of the lightness of the wood. That said I think you can see that the WB rivals CA and if you were to ask me I would say that it also feels "warmer" to the touch.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2004101032837_DSC00871_2.jpg
<br /> 66.12&nbsp;KB

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2004101032924_DSC00868_2.jpg
<br /> 22.09&nbsp;KB

smoky10

I tried a solvent based lacquer and I like it. I will try it more in the future. I try to stay away from the ca because it takes my breath[xx(], but sometimes I just have to use it. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom