Laboring on Labor day...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

So what did you do on Labor day? I spent most the day in the shop.

Group.jpg

Group picture of what was done.

Mesquite.jpg

Mesquite bowl with brass inlay. I have never turned a more abrasive wood. It burned through the edge on my tools.

Walnut.jpg

The kelton tool saved this bowl from the center of my larger black walnut bowl.

s_Pecan.jpg

This is the first half of a piece of spalted pecan I won at the club raffle.

CarvedPecan.jpg

This is the other half. I did not want a small bowl and the wood had such great color, I decided to carve the sides down to get this.

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Awesome stuff! You have three of my favorite woods there. I really like the winged bowl.
I'll have to agree with you on the mesquite, it is tough stuff. Don't tell anybody but I wear a glove when turning it. [8D] Not only for the heat but the dust dyes my hands, and it is a bear to get off.
How did that pecan turn with the pith in the wall of the bowl? I have some mesquite log that I could get a better size bowl if I leave the pith in but...?

Doghouse

The pith is in the bottom of the mesquite bowl. It wanted to drop out, but nothing a little CA could not fix.
Over time, it could develop a crack but most of the time the finish will prevent rapid moisture loss so mainly it is just a movement issue.

btboone

Great looking stuff. I was all set to work on my new pen project, but was totally inundated with ring orders. I'm not on top of them yet. I have some materials in and am ready to prototype it.

Dario

Nice looking bowls...the winged bowl gave me an idea for a foyer "catch all" bowl...maybe just a bit shallower though.

Hopefully I can start turning bowls again early next year.

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />The pith is in the bottom of the mesquite bowl. It wanted to drop out, but nothing a little CA could not fix.
Over time, it could develop a crack but most of the time the finish will prevent rapid moisture loss so mainly it is just a movement issue.
I noticed that but I was more interested in turning it the in the orientation of the pecan bowl. I have seen bowls with the pith in but haven't yet turned one like that.

Dario

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />I noticed that but I was more interested in turning it the in the orientation of the pecan bowl. I have seen bowls with the pith in but haven't yet turned one like that.

Kevin,

Are you talking about something like this? This mesquite bowl is part of my first bowls...maybe my 5th and the inside is very rough but the idea is there.

20059716835_NatEdgeMesquiteBowl1.jpg

20059716845_NatEdgeMesquiteBowl3.jpg

Doghouse

turned that way, you will find that the bowl will tend to bulge out at the pith. I have had a real problem with dogwood having its eyes bulge then crack. It will crack, just a question of how much ca and when.

The best thing is to rough turn then glue / butterfly the cracks after it drys then do your final turning.

Dario

FYI, this mesquite bowl is still almost round [:D]...a bit oblong but you cannot really tell by feeling or looking. Mesquite has almost equal shrinkage lateral and longitudinal wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom