Just Mined Some Ore

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LanceD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceD

A Jr Gent platinum fountain pen done in Woodturningz Molten Metal blank. That blank done with Jr Gent and Churchill kits are my best selling pens. It seems like everyone picks that color up first. I'll be ordering more of these blanks tonight.

This is also the first time I went with a different shape on the closed end barrel. I normally put a little curve towards the end but I decided to try a more blunt end. Thanks to Jim in Oakville for the inspiration to try out a different shape.

Any and all comments or critiques are welcomed.

Lance

2007101622424_100_1305.jpg

2007101622450_100_1306.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

richstick1

Lance - have you used any of the Woodturningz blanks for reelseats? I'm wondering how they do with UV light and the fading issues other acrylics have. That molten metal would make an AWESOME reelseat!!

LanceD

Originally posted by Richstick
<br />Lance - have you used any of the Woodturningz blanks for reelseats? I'm wondering how they do with UV light and the fading issues other acrylics have. That molten metal would make an AWESOME reelseat!!

Not yet but I do have a couple of 12" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" large blocks from Woodturningz that I intend to make some split grip handles out of them. I need to check with them if they would make the molten metal in that size.

About the reel seats the 3/4" blank they offer may be too small for a standard size seat. I could probably make a 16mm seat out of it but it would be a little small for the type of rods that I make.The ideal size for a reel seat would be 1" to 1 1/4"

richstick1

Lance - I just checked with them and they do have Molten Metal in the bigger blocks. Actually, colors 3,4,7,10,23,24,25,26,28 are all available. He also told me that they are UV resistant and that several rodbuilders are using them.

I've never tried using a 3/4" blank for a reelseat, outside of a fly seat. I can see a 16mm, but who uses those! I tend to use 18mm seats, don't think the 3/4 will make it for that. If you drilled if PERFECT you might be able to get a 17mm seat. I intend to get some of the bigger blocks and start playing around with this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom