June Meeting...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

First off, thank you Hans for setting up a really fun field trip/meeting at Got Wood. That was alot of fun.

I'm not 100% on what day the June meeting will be, but I was asked to do the demo. Hans and I have come up with a couple of ideas, but I wanted to see if anyone had something in particular they wanted to see OR even demo themselves. The only subject that's not on the menu would be a casting demo. I don't think we'd have enough time, plus the fumes in the room would really mess with people.

So if anyone has any ideas on something they want to see please let us know.

Here's a couple Hans and I threw out there:

Pen disassembly/Getting that pefect fit (aka fingernail test)

CA finish (I think I've done what 3 or 4 of these already)

Turning properties of various blanks (ebonite, acrylics, inlace, PR, alumilite, different woods, etc.)

That's all I've got at the moment. Hopefully we'll get some new/fresh ideas.

ALSO! Everyone please ask Hans to see the FINISHED kitless click pen from his demo from April. If yall remember he told us he'd finish it up for us at the next meeting....:tongue:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Carl (Fisher), if you're able to make it I for one would love to hear about your recent show. One subject that's rarely (if ever) talked about is marketing and selling our pens. Hearing some of the issues you had to deal with (ER not excluded as one of them :eek::beat-up::doctor:, lol) from customers to setup. I think that'd be a really interesting "demo". Totally up to you if you want to do it though...I just thought a lil public pressure would help with that choice :devil::biggrin:

sumterdad

i think the turning of different type of blanks would be good. Also if you decide to do a another ca you show how different type of products react to the ca differently during the application process. Like thanks to a thread on here I no longer apply ca with paper towels I use the play foam. and I am thinking of switching from med to thin ca. Just alittle input hope it helps.

Brooks803

Good ideas Chris. I couldn't begin to show how to do a celtic knot so we might have to save that for another time. I also haven't tried CA finish with anything other than a paper towel so that could be something you could demo if you had an urge to do one.

Turning properties of different blanks could be fun...just gotta do some digging for proper blanks...

sumterdad

I dont mind. If you wanted me to just let me know i would get prepared for it. when is the next meeting. I think there are several graduation parties I have to attend on the 2nd.

Carl Fisher

Sorry, completely missed this topic. Been sick lately and honestly have only had the time or energy to turn one pen since the show.

Caught Hans' PM as well but I think we can work something in over the next few months.

Brooks803

I dont mind. If you wanted me to just let me know i would get prepared for it. when is the next meeting. I think there are several graduation parties I have to attend on the 2nd.

I'll talk with Hans to see what's in store for July/Aug. I'm not 100% on the meeting date yet. Since we didn't meet at Mann Tool I didn't catch the earlier meeting saying when their next one was.

Sorry, completely missed this topic. Been sick lately and honestly have only had the time or energy to turn one pen since the show.

Caught Hans' PM as well but I think we can work something in over the next few months.

No worries Carl, hope you're feeling better. I know it'll be harder for me to make the meetings once the baby is here. I know Hans will be needing more involvment with demos then.

I'll probably do the turning properties of different blank materials and maybe pen disassembly for June. With that being said yall feel free to name some stuff for turning bc I know there's a good bit I haven't tried yet!

Tom D

For future planning here is a tenitive schedule of meetings through the end of the year. July 14th, August 4th, September 8th, October 6th, November 3rd, and December 8th.
See you all on June 2nd

Carl Fisher

I thought that was cracked beyond recovery :)

Someone needs to teach me how to use the collet chuck. It seems like if I take something out and then put it back in, I don't maintain concentricity.

Tom D

Don't forget come to the pen meeting. See you at Mann Tool the meeting is on June 2, 2012 from 1:00pm to 2:30.

sumterdad

I will have to miss this one. I dont know right now when the service for my nephew will be but if it is not on sat then I have to attend 2 different graduation services

Carl Fisher

We're out too. Company in town for a few weeks staying at the house. Won't be able to duck out for a full Saturday.

Catch you guys in July (I hope?)

Top Bottom