Judging Liar's Articles-Mark, Scott & Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Hey, this is great.....a resupply for the magazine rack in my "library!!!" [}:)]

As to determining a winner, no point in making this more complicated than necessary. I propose we each rate the submissions and send those ratings to Mark:

3 for first

2 for second and

1 for third

Mark can compile the ratings and announce a winner.

And just a suggestion for the future. It might be better if the submissions are judged anonymously with judges receiving the entries identified with a number rarher than the real author.

But I am also wondering.....what if these guys lied about their identity.....how will we know who the real winner is??:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Hey guys ... please withdraw my Liars Club entry from consideration for winning a prize. I thought they were going to be read anonymously. I have no idea how funny mine is compared to the other entries . . . but, if it does win a prize, it's going to cause hard feelings among at least some IAP members. It really will look like a conflict of interest. If there is one thing we don't need ... it's something that looks like an air of impropriety. So, please just pull it.

Here's where we talked about the judging previously:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30914

melogic

Good idea Randy on the numbering of the entries. Sorry about that. I should have been thinking a little more clearly and went back and read the original post we had going in the planning stages. I just looked right overtop of the removing of the entrants names. My fault.[V]

fiferb

Any criteria for this?

The one we like best down to the worst? Funniest? Most creative? The one that sounds most like the truth?

Inquiring minds want to know.:)

melogic

Since it is a Liars Club contest, I would say the biggest outright lie. The one you like the most for whatever reason, I don't know. What do you guys and gals think?

DocStram

I know you didn't ask me .... and I'm not one of the judges ... and .... I'm out of the contest, so I'll offer my two cents worth regarding the judging. I reread the original post announcing the description. It seems open-ended to me as far as the criteria. If you judge them on the biggest lie ... then how will you rate somebody saying ... "I am the Father of Pen Turning" (one of my original ideas) with somebody saying "I invented the lathe" or .... "I'm a prisoner in a federal pen". Comparing the magnitude of the lies doesn't seem to work.

So, why not each of you just read the entries and individually decide which one is the best lie. Another words, each of you decide on your own which entry is the best. There are just too many criteria to consider, like humor or well written or most creative. Just read them and pick your favorite. Don't even give a reason. Besides, if you do give a reason ... like, "This is the most original" then you're opening yourself up to arguments from the entrants.
Each of you read them ... pick your favorite ... then go ahead and vote.

fiferb

How many prizes are allotted to this? Can we give a first place in several different categories.

Most elaborate.
Funniest.
Outrageous.
Well written.

Just a few that come to mind now that I've actually read them all.

And, when do we need to have our picks completed?

DocStram

Originally posted by fiferb

How many prizes are allotted to this? Can we give a first place in several different categories.

Most elaborate.
Funniest.
Outrageous.
Well written.

Just a few that come to mind now that I've actually read them all.

And, when do we need to have our picks completed?

That Bruce is soooo smart! If we have more than one prize, then give them in specific categories!

Randy_

I agree with Al. No need to over-think the contest and make it more complicated than it needs to be. I would favor just picking your three favorite stories, rate them and send your result to Mark.

melogic

I agree with Randy and Al.
But I think for next year, we keep these threads and have our stuff in order. This is how we learn.

Bruce - I would say take your time to read each entry and make your judgment at that point. Rate the entries as Randy has suggested and send your decisions to me. Once everyone has done this I will tabulate the numbers and announce the winners. I feel we should be able to have this done in the next couple of days, maybe?!

melogic

Thanks Bruce. I got Scott's, and Randy's also. We have a 3-way tie and I have e-mailed each of you the names of those 3 and we need to choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd place from those 3 names.

DocStram

You guys did a great job with the judging. The entries were really well done.

By the way, Andrew (Maxwell Smart) is one terrific writer! Whoaaa!

Now that it's over, you guys can tell me how my entry would have easily, easily won the grand prize. So, let's hear it. (Actually, after seeing what was submitted, mine would have been an embarrassment.)

melogic

I'm not so sure this is a contest that you want to be remembered for being the best in. [:0]
Do you think if the same person that won this contest also won the Ugly Pen contest would have issues they may have to deal with? :D;)

fiferb

Mark, I don't think they'd have trouble at all. They'd just tell everyone it was the most beautiful pen in the world and would probably believe every word spoken.:D

Scott

Al, your entry was far-and-away the best entry we had this year! It was like spice compared to oatmeal, and it left a tasty crunch in your mouth!

But as an educator you must realize why we had to throw it out. It would have skewed the results of the judging! ;)

Now, aren't you glad?

Scott.

DocStram

Originally posted by Scott

Al, your entry was far-and-away the best entry we had this year! It was like spice compared to oatmeal, and it left a tasty crunch in your mouth!

But as an educator you must realize why we had to throw it out. It would have skewed the results of the judging! ;)

Now, aren't you glad?

Scott.

Ahhhhhh Yesssss! Now that felt good! I'm always ready to take any praise I can get ... even false praise. :D:D:D

Top Bottom