Jet 1236 Tailstock issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXTurner

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had this problem.

I finally broke down and bought a 60 degree revolving center for the tailstock. The problem is, when I tried to remove the live center from the tail spindle, only the top of it came out (the portion that normally would contact the workpiece, or in penturning, the right side end of the mandrel).

If you have a moment, here's a link to the 1236 manual:

http://content.jettools.com/manuals/man_708352.pdf

If you scroll down to page 11, the live center is part #45 and the tail spindle is part #46. Basically, the longer portion of 45 (live center) is still stuck inside 46. I've tried just about everything to get it out, but no luck. If I can't get it out, I can't insert the new 60-degree center.

Has anyone had this issue? Any luck resolving it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXTurner

Thanks...

...I knew there had to be a simple answer. I'll give it a try.

gpgsm

I have your own lathe, although now it does not work.

Have you tried to use the Drift Rod (16) ?

Try using a wood hammer.

TXTurner

Thanks...

...I tried that, but it didn't work.

I'm also thinking now that the self-ejecting feature removed only part 46 and not 45. If I reinsert 46, and turn the wheel backwards, I wonder if it will pop out?

marcruby

Try saturating that part of the tailstock with penetrating oil or some form of rust remover (wd40?) to loosen the end of the center. And then get a long enough rod and tap it out. You might also want to try using acetone as a solvent too. I'm guessing either some glue or water or finish dripped there at some time.

Marc

MobilMan

TxTurner. Looking atthe pic on page 11 it doesn't look like you should take #46 out. The MT2 should fit in it. I think # 46 is attached to #49 & # 37 keeps it from spinning when the handle is turned, There is a slot in # 46 that #37 goes into. unless for some wierd reason #45 MT2 is hollow & #47 worked it's way into it. The whole thing like in 345 should have come out. Try turning the handle clockwise so the shaft #46 is out about 1 x 1/2 inches. then using a pair of vice grips or pliers try tapping the shaft part of the MT2 out. Just incase # 47 has gotten stuck in the back of #45. Reading the warrantee at the first part of all this I don't see where Jet 'does not' warranty the motor. 2 yr limited. Hope you get up & running soon.

I think Mobileman is right. #46 should stay in the tailstock. This is the way my jet mini works.

Take anything you have besides what you just took out that is a MT2 and see if it fits in #46. Or take the live center you took out and I bet it will fit in the headstock. Either way, if they fit you havent broken anything and it worked right.

If I read all right, #46 is the tailstock quill (MT2) and #47 is the tailstock quill bolt that screws into the quill and moves it in and out.... #45 is the live center. If you can put the #46 back into the tailstock, thread the tailstock bolt back into it and turn the quill all the way back into the tail stock, them you may have to force the tailstock wheel back another 1/2 turn to kick the live center (MT2 portion of the live center) loose. I have to do that on both my 1014 and the 1442... the live center will get jammed into the quill from the pressure you apply to your work pieces... just a little extra pressure will usually kick it loose.

Top Bottom