Japanese Persimmon Polaris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is my first pen in about 8 months. A Polaris with Japanese Persimmon, an ebony wood. I bought a piece of wood home with me last summer and recently bought a Rikon lathe. I finally had some time to turn one a couple of weeks ago. Used it and scratched it some showing it off.

Not up to par with you Pro guys, nor is the photography up to the caliber that my Japanese version of the Rebel XT is capable of taking. I am trying to learn though - pen turning, layout and photography.

56704490-f32f-0200018A-.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Wood like that is really hard to photograph. The finish looks good, those reflection lines are a good indicator. The wood looks to be a bit proud of the nib, but I've taken pictures of some of mine that matched perfectly but the photo said otherwise.

OSCAR15

NICE TOUCH ! Looks great.......
I have heard of Rikon lathe but nobody I know has one....Do you like it?
I use a Jet, but am thinking of getting a second lathe...Oscar

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by OSCAR15
<br />NICE TOUCH ! Looks great.......
I have heard of Rikon lathe but nobody I know has one....Do you like it?
I use a Jet, but am thinking of getting a second lathe...Oscar

I recall Eagle once posted some very sad experiences with a Rikon.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Gerry,

The wood is a tad proud at the point you mentioned. It is exaggerated a tad by the picture. The real problem is that it is slightly out of round. I have since done two other pens (Seirra and slimline) that are perfect. I haven't done another Polaris yet but I suspect that the bushing might be out of round.

In bright light, you can see the wood. Lou did a great job in using the Jpn persimmon and getting the color to show up other than almost black on his pens. I really need to make a lighted box unit for photographing pens.

Rikon Lathe: I bought this when WoodCraft had their one day 10% sale in early February. I was traveling the whole month and had to wait for a couple of weeks to see it after it arrived home. The lathe is quite different from my Taig pen lathe. Last time I used a big lathe was about 14 years ago. I only did that for a few days. Getting used to the different feel was a little awkward. I would like a better tool rest. It came without a 60° live center and it immediately became evident that I needed one. Ordered it and it works well. Changing speeds is quick. I like the idea of 12 in turning capacity but have not tried that yet.

When I started looking at Rikons, they were out of stock everywhere. I read somewhere that there was a modification going on and new ones were scheduled to be released in late January to early February. Mine arrived at my house on February 7. I will be taking this back to Japan with me when I go in early June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom