Is Streamline a Slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

So here's the question. The only difference between the slimline and streamline is the center band. I've had a few people ask about entering them in the slimline competition, but i wanted to get a consensus from the group before I said yes to anybody. If you folks agree, I can update the rules to reflect the streamline as a slimline. What do you folks think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ben,

I think you need a definition.

Slimline has the itty bitty centerband.
IF you allow OTHER centerbands, or NO centerbands, you probably want to call it a "small cross - non-Euro" contest. Which is, I believe, YOUR option.

See what the rest of the bash team thinks - Personally, the slimline is VERY restrictive, I think the more "open" the better.

davinci27

Yeah, I can see you point ed, and that's really more of what I want. Basically any kit that has a 7mm tubes, a clip, a flat finial and a slimline sized nib and 1 twist transmission is what I want. I didn't want euros, teacher pens, bullet pens etc. What do other folks think?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just think of the ways Russ Fairfield has changed that pen. Of course, the "comfort" pen is built on the same "chassis" with a larger centerband. So, you could call it a 7mm - "cross" components, centerband under .45" (Euro is half an inch - I am fairly certain)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
To me, a streamline pen wouldn't be considered a slimline, because it has a separate set of bushings that accurately allows you to size them to the larger centerband...Since it needs its own bushings, I would call it a kit in its own right...

But that's just me!

Scott

The Streamline kit is marketed as a streamlined slimline. The only real difference is the centerband. I often use this kit even when I don't use the centerband because I like the clip and I like the chrome version. But if you allow the Streamline, then someone will ask if they can use something else that's close, and on and on. Set your parameters right now. Choose either just a slimline kit, or choose to allow any kit based on the typical slimline components, and give examples such as Streamline, longwood, etc. But you choose. I don't think it's being too restrictive saying just a slimline kit because any who are wanting to use the other variations are trying to use it because of some extra capacity or feature of that other kit, and that's not what the contest is about. Unless they just don't have a slimline. So whatever you choose. We support you!

Scott.

davinci27

Scott I'm with you. I don't buy slimlines much anymore because i don't use the centerband much and I like the streamline clip. I'm thinking of opening it up just a bit so streamline or slimline. i think those are close enough that they both fit. They have the same size tubes the upper barrel and lower barrel are the same length by default. The only real difference is the size of the center band.

Does this seam fair to everybody?

DocStram

Ben .... there are four important rules to running a contest:

1. Decide what the rules are going to be.

2. Spell them out with the clearest language possible

3. Stick with the rules.

4. Follow the first three rules.

davinci27

All this said I'm doing Slimline/Streamline I think the kits are just to similar. The center band is really the only difference of note and the centerband was already optional. Still sticking with the center band optional but have to ue all the other parts.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
See Al's post above. Read and study it carefully. Remember, he has written 2 books and knows a lot!

Do whatever you want to!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Knowledge (for old farts who don't do computers well) is GAINED from READING. So, did this "Doc" fellow EVER READ anything????

Now, if he has READ at least HALF of the wisdom I have imparted on this forum, THEN he shall be named "Informed"!!

Remember, Ben, we are ALL behind you!!!

So, when the shoes start flying at you, please say something BEFORE you duck!! Fortunately, I'm behind Doc and Cav, so should catch one of them first!!!

DocStram

Knowledge (for old farts who don't do computers well) is GAINED from READING. So, did this "Doc" fellow EVER READ anything????

Now, if he has READ at least HALF of the wisdom I have imparted on this forum, THEN he shall be named "Informed"!!

Remember, Ben, we are ALL behind you!!!

So, when the shoes start flying at you, please say something BEFORE you duck!! Fortunately, I'm behind Doc and Cav, so should catch one of them first!!!

Uh oh .... I'm not about to get into a shootin' match with Ed when it comes to knowledge imparted in IAP. I have way to much humility :)biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:) for that! As a matter of fact, one of the chapters in our book is on the topic of humility. Believe it or not ....... here's a quote from the first page of that chapter:

"It ain't the heat; it's the humility" Yogi Berra

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have always said,

"Oh, God its hard to be HUMBLE, when you're perfect in EVERY way,
I can't wait to go to the mirror, cause I get better lookin each day!!!"

You may recognize this, I wrote a little ditty that somebody stole -
but then we all know about COPY rights!!!

Top Bottom