Irish Bog Oak Jr. Statesman II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I posted this over in the Critiques forum too. However, for those who haven't seen the kit, this post also includes detail shots of the finials. Not exactly the BEST pics of the finials, but detail shots none the less.

20058354543_Jr%20Statesman%20II%20Endcap%20Closeup.jpg

58354453_Jr%20Statesman%20II%20Cap%20End%20Closeup.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Thanks Johnny and John! John, that's the finial that comes with the Jr. Statesman II's. This is a change over the old Jr. Statesman pens. It is a REALLY sharp kit, and one I'll be purchasing more of. As for the wood, I was surprised it was so porous too. I was disappointed that there were so many voids to be filled in something like oak, especially since it is so dark. Perhaps I should have used black CA instead!

wayneis

Nice looking pen Jim, you could have used ca and sanding dust to fill the porus holes, that would have given you a real smooth surface. As to the finial, they always had that on the cap but now with the new version they put it on both ends. Other than the porus nature of the wood it looks like you did a fine job overall.

Wayne

JimGo

Michael,
Actually, all I did this weekend was glue and cast. The pens in these pics have all been turned this week.

Well, that's not entirely true... I didn't JUST glue and cast this weekend. I turned one PR slimline that exploded on me, but was able to do several laminations and made it look decent. Then it got stuck on the mandrel, and the only way to get it off was with plyers, which wound up gouging a big scar in the side of the barrel (may try to save it anyway). I then turned to another PR blank, this time on a Polaris, and when the end of that one blew up too, I realized it was time to head inside.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

MDWine

I thought something was missing from my basement... Murphy must have taken a day trip to Reston!

Sorry, buddy, I hope he finds another home... as long as he doesn't come back to my place!

alamocdc

Just don't send him back here! I finally got rid of him a few weeks ago and don't want him back. BTW, Jim, I like the pen! And i like the natural look of the open grain, but that's just me. Sometimes I'll fill the grain, sometimes I won't. It depends on my mood and the blanks I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom