Irish Bog Oak Carbon Dating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwilasnd

Arrghh... someone moved my papers (prolly me). I can't find the carbon dating paperwork from the guy selling Irish Bog Oak blanks on Ebay last year. Does anyone have one they could scan and send me?

My daughter is taking a pen, blank and the paperwork. I have the brochure he send, but dang if I didn't miss-place the paper...

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Assuming that all IBO is about the same age, I ran across a copy of the carbon dating paperwork from some IBO blanks I got off EBay last year. Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

lwalden

If you're talking about Alan Bell, I have copies I can get scanned and e-mailed tomorrow.
Originally posted by dwilasnd
<br />Arrghh... someone moved my papers (prolly me). I can't find the carbon dating paperwork from the guy selling Irish Bog Oak blanks on Ebay last year. Does anyone have one they could scan and send me?

My daughter is taking a pen, blank and the paperwork. I have the brochure he send, but dang if I didn't miss-place the paper...

Dave

lwalden

Seems like there was some discussion in the past about some being in the 5000 to 8000 year range, based on how deep they were found and assuming steady growth of the peat bogs. There was some question at one time about the roughly 1500 year old dating on Alan's stuff, but I know there was a recent post were Quenn's university in Belfast acknowleded that they had performed radio carbon dating for Alan. His is what I have a copy of.
Originally posted by Monty
<br />Assuming that all IBO is about the same age, I ran across a copy of the carbon dating paperwork from some IBO blanks I got off EBay last year. Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

OKLAHOMAN

Dario and Dave check your e mail I scaned a copy of Queens University of Bellfast by Mr. A Bell and sent one to Dario, Dave E mail me your E-mail address as cannot upload throught forum email the scan. This is same info as Lyle has

Pikebite

There is a range of dates for bog oak with most being 1500 to 2500 years old. Some, however is definatly older than this. I have some English bog oak that has been carbon dated to 3500BC i.e. over 5500 years old. This came from the Fenland bogs in the east of England quite near to Boston (the one in Lincolnshire).

The bog oak is often found when farmers plough their field and usually it is the youger stuff near the surface that is found first.

Interestingly we have a timber supplier in the UK that sells bog oak in boards but also has bog yew (now that looks nice) and very occasionally bog pine.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom