Ick!!! Hand cleaner???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, she spends all evening playing in the GOO (some call it Polyresin), then, the next day or two she plays with the "sticks" removing them from the forms.

The problem, of course, is that her hands are perpetually sticky. (This is the first sign I have seen of "sticky fingers", but I certainly want to end it right away!!)

So, has anyone found a good solvent that will clean the PR off your hands?????

Thanks Ed and (the sticky fingered one-Dawn)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carverken

No Sir I have not found any cleaner that works. The few times I have played with the stuff I wussed out and wore gloves. (ounce of prevention)[;)]best of luck on your solution.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When she wore gloves, her aim suffered.

Cleaning hands is easier than cleaning the
<b><center>
ENTIRE KITCHEN!!!</center></b>

wood-of-1kind

Ed,
there is product out there that you apply to your hands and it acts as a protectant layer of skin for these 'sticky' situations that have been around since the dawn of time. Simply wash off when the task is completed and no residue on the hands. I will try to get the trade name for you and advise.

-Peter-[:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />Ed,
there is product out there that you apply to your hands and it acts as a protectant layer of skin for these 'sticky' situations that have been around since the <b>dawn of time</b>. Simply wash off when the task is completed and no residue on the hands. I will try to get the trade name for you and advise.

-Peter-[:)]

Dawn was very pleased with your allusion to her being ancient!!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Don't know about PR but for Alumilite I use acetone to clean my hands followed up with some plumber's hand cleaner that will actually remove PVC glue and primer. Don't know exactly what it is called but I buy it at the local True Value hardware store. Works great on just about anything including silicone caulk on your hands!

freedomhouse

My wife purchased one of those caluse(sp?) scraper pad thingy's, from sally's

they cost about a buck and you load the top with soad and scrub...

works great for CA and have used it with PR with good results...

Randy_

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />When she wore gloves, her aim suffered.

Are you talking about regular work gloves or something else??

I would think those thin latex or nitrile disposible gloves that surgeons use would be an excellent solution.

alamocdc

Ed, I have started wearing latex or nitrile gloves when working w/mine, but lacquer thinner followed by a good washing with warm soapy water always gets it off when I forget. I forget much less frequently now b/c I don't think I want that much exposure to the lacquer thinner. It can't be good for the body's largest organ (skin for those not familiar w/this little bit of trivia).[;)]

hilltopper46

Serious reply:
--&gt; Have you tired the citrus hand cleaner with the pumice? - this works better for me than anything in a surprisingly wide range of materials.

Not so serious reply:
--&gt;
When she wore gloves, her aim suffered.
Exactly WHAT is she doing the the PR, anyway? I am having visions of her throwing it across the kitchen at a pan about 6 feet away in an effort to do modern art, or something. Or maybe just scooping up little globs of partially set PR and throwing them at Ed!!??

M

Mudder

Listen carefully Edward the third,

Take a little bit of Dawn dish washing detergent (others might work to) and rub it into your hands like hand cream before you begin with the PR. this will put a very fine coating of the detergent on your hands and allow you to clean up easily because it does not allow the PR to stick to the skin. (this is an old mechanics trick that I learned years ago)

The other method is to go to www.mscdirect.com and actually BUY HER GLOVES THAT FIT!!!!

PR_Princess

As Ed is having a very bad computer day, I just wanted to log on and give every one a quick thank you for your suggestions.I will be trying several of them.

Especially your second and third ones Tony! I always thought that Ed needed a greater appreciation of the arts.[:D][}:)]

I tried to ignore this thread initially, because nobody likes a fuddy-duddy safety minded fun-squasher. Well, almost nobody..... But, here goes nutin'!
Please Dawn, learn to use the gloves. Trust me, they make gloves that you can hardly tell are being worn.
Solvents like the type we are talking about (acetone, lacquer thinner, enamel reducer, MEK, etc) take all of 15 seconds to reach your liver once they are introduced to the skin. That's NO BULL.
I work with these solvents on a daily basis, and have been around them for over 30 yrs. So has some of my family. My Dad and oldest brother have been diagnosed with liver problems, ALL stemming from our carelessness with these solvents in the early years. Even inhaling these solvent's fumes is unhealthy. If you cannot easily ventilate your work area, you can wear an approved respirator.
Even uglier to mention, as we get older, our bodies don't have the vitality to recover from damage being done by these solvents that a younger person would have.
Please take this seriously.

Lynn Livingston

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As Dawn said, I am unable to use my computer for the internet, so I am on a workstation, with which I am unfamiliar.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

However, I must tell you, Chris, that the Goo is not always ORANGE!!!!!

Whenever it is, I will remind her of your advice!!![8D][8D][8D]

soundman

I assume we are talking about acrilic resin...... in that case even more reason to use gloves if you can.... even more to avoid using solvents as the solvents that will disolve the resin will also carry the the even nastier chemicals in the resin into your blood stream.

best option is to go to a fibreglass supplier and ask for some hand cleaner specificaly designed for the purpose of removing the resin.
They exist bown under so they must be available where you are.

cheers

elody21

Goo Gone workes very well for many sticky things. Give it a shot!. Alice

jtate

Acetone is magic.

It's also toxic.

I use it but I wouldn't want to be using as much as Dawn may use for cleaning purposes becuase it will get into your bodily system over time. The cummulative effects can't be good.

Wear gloves - even two pairs of gloves at a time (with powder in between).

Julia

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you believe the US Government's Environmental Protection Agency, acetone is NOT toxic.

EPA is granting the petition by deleting acetone from the EPCRA
section 313 list. EPA believes that acetone does not meet the toxicity
criteria of EPCRA section 313(d)(2)(A) because acetone exhibits acute
toxicity only at levels that greatly exceed releases and resultant
exposures. Specifically, acetone cannot reasonably be anticipated to
cause ``* * * significant adverse acute human health effects at
concentration levels that are reasonably likely to exist beyond
facility site boundaries as a result of continuous, or frequently
recurring releases.''
EPA believes that acetone does not meet the toxicity criteria of
EPCRA section 313(d)(2)(B) because acetone: (1) Cannot reasonably be
anticipated to cause cancer or neurotoxicity and has not been shown to
be mutagenic, and (2) cannot reasonably be anticipated to cause adverse
developmental effects or other chronic effects except at relatively
high dose levels.
EPA believes that acetone does not meet the toxicity criteria of
EPCRA section 313(d)(2)(C) because acetone causes adverse environmental
effects only at relatively high dose levels.
Based upon evaluation of the petition, available toxicity and
exposure information, and public comment, EPA reaffirms its
determination that acetone meets the EPCRA section 313(d)(3) criteria
for deletion. Therefore, EPA is finalizing the deletion of acetone from
the list of chemicals subject to reporting under section 313 of EPCRA.
From http://www.epa.gov/EPA-TRI/1995/June/Day-16/pr-15.html

<u><b>And</b></u>

Is Acetone Toxic?

Q. A customer of mine, manufacturing mild steel nails, ask me to sustitute its acetone-based solvent and lubricant paint used by immersion at room temperature in order to prevent nails from folding. As he doesn't have any aspiration system for the solvent, I'm looking for a very fast evaporating solvent not so toxic like acetone. Thanks.

A. Thank you for your email. Your terminology is slightly different from mine, and so let me clarify what I think you are saying: You are supplying your customer with a dip coating that uses acetone as one of its solvents. Your customer doesn't have a good air ventilation system to take the solvents away from the dip tank and he is concerned about toxicity. Is this the case? Is he worried about the HEALTH EFFECTS of acetone, or is he worried about the SAFETY problems associated with acetone, such as flammability?

If he is worried about toxicity, namely the health effects, then I must tell you that despite the strong smell of acetone and it fast evaporation rate, acetone is surprisingly not toxic. The US Environmental Protection Agency has specifically listed acetone as one of the few solvents that is not listed as a Hazardous Air Pollutant and does not cause cancer, or other very serious illnesses.

From http://www.paintcenter.org/rj/Nov01a.cfm

<u><b>AND</b></u>

a rather lengthy discussion here http://rais.ornl.gov/tox/profiles/acetone.shtml#t42 .

soundman

As I mentioned it is not so much the toxisity of the solvent but the fact that the solvent carries toxic eliments of the resin into the blood stream.

Consider also that the view of work place hazards in the US is far more ....."generous" than elsewhere in the world.

There may also be some.....play on words.....in the use of the word "toxic" and "compared to other solvents".

Lots of things that we and industry take for granted as being low risk or safe....when it comes down to it are far from it or have a "little surprise" waiting in their behaviour.

Some things that cause us short term distress or immediate effects we avoid as being "bad" other things that cause is little or no immediate discomfort no matter how much we are exposed to them can be devastating.

The predominating risk with acetone is its incredible flamibility, I know of several accidents where people have assumed that all the acetone has evaporated and found that small residues still remain presenting a substantial fire risk and a very big surprise.

I know a lot of people in the auto refinish trade here use acetone as a cleaner, with no thaught to what is becomming disolved in the solvent.... of course they work bare handed with no breating protection.

cheers

PR_Princess

Ok, Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, ideas, and extensive research (Lou) on this issue.

Let me preface this by saying that everyone who works with polyester resin will have to make their own decisions as to what THEY are comfortable working with.

For ME, I am happy with the fact that acetone is NOT analogous with a solvent and skin barrier carrier like DMSO, and thus, is safe to work with as a solvent/cleaner. As long as one does not inhale it (acetone) repeatly and over a long periods of time, and keeps it away from things like oh, say, - kilns, it is perfectly fine to use to disolve and clean the resin.[8D][8D][8D]

The slightly less "sticky fingered" one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom