IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST- 8 JAN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Welcome to the eighth day of this year's IAP TRIVIA CONTEST</u>. You will have until 12 noon ET tomorrow to email your answer to this question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and two winners selected every day. The winners will be announced about 8 P.M. ET of the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 8.....

Question: What is the biggest commercial pen kit commonly available to American pen crafters and what is the smallest?

(Please use common sense in interpreting what biggest and smallest mean and don't get overly technical or picky. Good luck!!)

<s>Email your answer to: 2008bashtrivia@penturners.org</s>

Please show the date and name of the contest in the title block of the email i.e., 8 Jan Trivia. (saves time for the TRIVIAMEISTER in processing entries.}
This question is now closed and no more entries will be accepted.
Please visit the contest for day 9. Thanks.

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a BIG man

Rosy O"Donnel is a BIG woman

Which one is the closest to the pen you are looking for???

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Do NOT try to use the Rosie O'Donnell fountain pen. It has a tendency to spout off and leave a mess behind that someone else has to clean up. [8D]

Ed, Randy says that I am his proxy for answers to all future questions concerning this trivia question.

Now then. "Biggest" shall mean "the interior radius of the barrel as measured precisesly 15.25 millimeters from the hosel before the tube is inserted when prepared using the drill bit recommended by the pen kit distributor. If more than one pen kit distributor distributes the pen kit in question, then the correct answer shall be the pen distributed by that pen kit distributor whose pen kit has the larger (or largest if there are more than two such pen kit distributors) dimension as set forth hereto."

The term "smallest" shall be defined upon timely submission of an appropriate request.

bobskio2003

Okay even I have to ask for more clarification (and not about Rosie or Kareem- what you guys do in your dreams is up to you :D). Are we talking about finished pen size, most number of parts, bushing size, etc... Throw us a bone here Randy (and save yourself some grief). Bob I.

GoodTurns

Originally posted by DCBluesman

Do NOT try to use the Rosie O'Donnell fountain pen. It has a tendency to spout off and leave a mess behind that someone else has to clean up. [8D]

You are on a roll lately, Lou! Exes, now Rosie...:D:D

Randy_

While I have your attention, I would like some opinions about question difficulty. Just curious whether folks prefer the easier questions or the more difficult questions??

Do you like straight forward questions or ones that are a little tricky?? Do you prefer true trivia masterpieces or questions that have a little educational value? Any other comments you have on questions in general would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm almost done with my term here; but what you have to say about the type of questions "MAY" influence what Bruce and Al submit over the next 20 days.

GoodTurns

I have enjoyed the questions so far...too easy means too many people with a chance to win! I know I have missed a couple of the questions, but have learned something from each of them so far. Keep up the good work, short-timer;)

Now, I do have a problem with the selection of winners, notably the absence of my name on the list:D.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Its been a good mix so far I think... Some easy, some harder. I have to say - todays has me all freaked out.. Most of the others, I had a pretty good idea if I'd have it right or not. And today I just don't know.

Like Jon, I want to see my name on the winners list :) And I've been waiting for todays question. Some of ed's blanks are on my wishlist.. Gonna have to break down and buy some - but winning would be so much better!(especially if you listen to ebay commercials)

bobskio2003

First off I want to thank Randy for doing this in the first place. I know I've given him some grief and can only imagine what some of the jokesters here have put him through. I have to admit that I didn't like some of the way the questions were worded (like today's) but they have all been educational and if a person knows that there may be different correct answers but it's the judges "correct answer" that really matters and there is some luck involved, then everything should be okay. So once again, Great Job Randy and thanks (at least from me). Bob I.

UKpenmaker

I too think the questions have been spot on.
Some harder ones which make you think, and do a bit of research, are one of the best ways of finding new ideas.

Just keep up the good work Randy.

Oh and don't forget to make the piece of paper, with name on it, veeeeery big for in the hat.[}:)]
I don't want to be in the losers club all my life.[:p]

GaryMGg

Randy,
A local radio station does a brain-buster once in a while.
The other day the question was "How many seconds are there in a calendar year?"
The answer I was expecting was "sec per min * min per hr * hr per day * days per year. [^]
The answer was 12!: Jan 2nd, Feb 2nd, ... [}:)]:D:D:D;)

I think you're doing a great job -- folks are having fun.
That's what the Birthday celebration outta be.

Randy_

Originally posted by bobskio2003

First off I want to thank Randy for doing this in the first place. I know I've given him some grief and can only imagine what some of the jokesters here have put him through. I have to admit that I didn't like some of the way the questions were worded (like today's) but they have all been educational and if a person knows that there may be different correct answers but it's the judges "correct answer" that really matters and there is some luck involved, then everything should be okay. So once again, Great Job Randy and thanks (at least from me). Bob I.

Thankfully, CAV hasn't gotten on my case, yet: but I have pretty thick skin so I can handle it. Besides, with what Jeff is paying me to do this, I can put up with an awful lot of abuse.

That's what you get when you hire a BS instead of a BA.[^]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, Gary, There are probably 36 2nds IN a calendar year.

Open the calendar, every one I've seen shows each month, with the preceeding and succeeding month also shown on the page, so the 2nd shows up THREE times on each page.

So, IN the calendar, the seconds count to 36, NOT 12.

Call the radio station!!!

Randy_

To fulfill my obligations under the "DISCLOSURE LAWS" I need to inform you of the following. There really is no hat (but there is a Santa Claus) and there are no slips of paper!! Actually, we are a lot more high tech than that!!

I snagged a random number generator off the Internet. I count the number of entries for each contest and use that number as the range to generate some random numbers. I take the first random nubber (or number as the case may be) and look at the entry with that nunmber. If the answer is correct we have a winner. If not, I proceed to the next random number. Process continues until two winners are selected. Much easier than a hat and slips of paper!! [^]

pssherman

Originally posted by ed4copies

Open the calendar, every one I've seen shows each month, with the preceeding and succeeding month also shown on the page, so the 2nd shows up THREE times on each page.

Actually Ed, that would be 36 2nds ON a calendar, not IN a calendar year. A calendar year are the months January to December. A calendar is a record of a period of time, usually a calendar year.

Paul in AR

airrat

As to how many 2nds in a calendar year. Since it was done over the radio and being verbal and not written it leaves it open to interpretation. I say there are 24 2nds in a calendar year. Each month having 2, the 2nd and 22nd.

<h1>I WIN</h1>

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by airrat

As to how many 2nds in a calendar year. Since it was done over the radio and being verbal and not written it leaves it open to interpretation. I say there are 24 2nds in a calendar year. Each month having 2, the 2nd and 22nd.

<h1>I WIN</h1>

...and sometimes the 32nd...:D:D

As a matter of fact, I am keeping my Trout Unlimited calendar from last year: it shows 31. February!!![8D]

Santa

Originally posted by Randy_

To fulfill my obligations under the "DISCLOSURE LAWS" I need to inform you of the following. There really is no hat (but there is a Santa Claus) ......
[^]

My boy Randy knows which side of his bread is buttered on! Of course there's a Santa Claus!! :D:D:D

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by alphageek

Some of ed's blanks are on my wishlist.. Gonna have to break down and buy some - but winning would be so much better!(especially if you listen to ebay commercials)

Ed you could just shoot some of your blanks this way - just say to heck with the contest and "share the glory"

[:X]

IPD_Mrs

I like questions that you have to do a little research and learn something in the process, but not questions that are extremely difficult - most of us don't have all day to do the research. I also don't care for extremely misleading questions; those that are slightly difficult because it is somewhat vague are ok, so long as the answer isn't vague. If there are several correct answers then I would expect to be told there are 4 correct answers any 2 of the 4 are acceptable or something to that affect. I don't really like the "hand out" questions personally, but think there should be a certain number of those involved in any contest like this because there are some folks that just cannot devote much time to looking through tons of internet sites or sales books etc to find an answer to try to win a contest every day. These types of questions help give everyone a fair chance at winning a little something over the course of the month and makes it more fun for everyone playing, and encourage more participation overall.

[:X] Mrs

Randy_

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

.....I don't really like the "hand out" questions personally, but think there should be a certain number of those involved in any contest like this because there are some folks that just cannot devote much time to looking through tons of internet sites or sales books etc to find an answer to try to win a contest every day......

That is an excellent point and one I would need to pay closer attention to if I am ever crazy enough to volunteer for something like this again. Thanks.

alphageek

Former Moderator

Originally posted by GoodTurns

.....Now, I do have a problem with the selection of winners, notably the absence of my name on the list:D.

Jon: Your name will be on the winners list tomorrow. I guarantee it!! Yours, too, Dean.

Woah.. Almost missed this post. Now, I have to say - as an IT person, I've been told to be really careful writing email as it can be read many ways - voice has a lot more ways to read (tone, etc).. I don't know how to read Randy yet.. This could be any of the following:
1) Randy is hinting about something not yet announced
2) He is just having fun harrasing Jon and I
3) He has spelling issues and Jon and I are going on the "whiner" list

In any case, this is fun - so even if he's just messing with us, its still fun.

Daniel

This has been fun, But I do not like questions that require interpretation. Sorry but it only leaves it open to the final correct answer being manipulated. I had shown Bruce's pen to a co worker just two days before the 7th question. He has only seen this group twice for a total of about two minutes. He also saw the question and said hey that is that Bruce guys pen you showed me. So to say that Bruce Boone was not a 100% correct answer falls under manipulation for me. To avoid this is simple. supply the correct answer or answers to a third party before the question is asked. Not trying to be a pain but this is sort of a button for me, I had an instructor in college fired for this same sort of thing. No matter how you answered a question he would come up with some pathetic detail to tell you it was wrong. I held him to his own standards and would point out every time he did not give a complete and total answer to his lessons.eventually he flipped and threatened me violently in front of the entire class. end of job. and my G.P.A was restored to 4.0. It's just my peave, so be it

GoodTurns

Originally posted by alphageek

Originally posted by GoodTurns

.....Now, I do have a problem with the selection of winners, notably the absence of my name on the list:D.

Jon: Your name will be on the winners list tomorrow. I guarantee it!! Yours, too, Dean.

Woah.. Almost missed this post. Now, I have to say - as an IT person, I've been told to be really careful writing email as it can be read many ways - voice has a lot more ways to read (tone, etc).. I don't know how to read Randy yet.. This could be any of the following:
1) Randy is hinting about something not yet announced
2) He is just having fun harrasing Jon and I
3) He has spelling issues and Jon and I are going on the "whiner" list

In any case, this is fun - so even if he's just messing with us, its still fun.

I am expecting something along the lines of "Hi, Jon!" buried in the list....you know, like the person who was promised to be remembered in someone's will, went to the reading and heard "Hello to xxx, consider yourself remembered!"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by pssherman

Originally posted by ed4copies

Actually Ed, that would be 36 2nds ON a calendar, not IN a calendar year. A calendar year are the months January to December. A calendar is a record of a period of time, usually a calendar year.

Paul in AR

I considered this, Paul. When you open a calendar, it is akin to opening a book. While the words appear ON a page, they are IN the book.

Of course, I'd rather be IN a plane than ON a plane, but most of us say we went somewhere ON the plane (logic courtesy of George Carlin)

For a change, I won't BEAT this one to DEATH!! If the radio guy was trying to be clever by using the seconds "double meaning", I certainly would e-mail him about his calendar error. That's all.

airrat

Me personally I did not answer this question due to the vagueness of it and I didnt have all day to research. I had a good idea if it was kit size but if it is something different then I did not understand the direction of the question.

Trick questions are ok but vague are IMO not right. The only thing I can use as an example is would you like it if on a graduation test all the questions were vague and could contain numerous answers that the giver only knows the ones they chose.

DozerMite

Banned
sleepy2.gif

Randy_

Trivia Contest Winners</u>

Question: What is the largest (not longest) commercial pen kit commonly available to American pen crafters and what is the smallest?

Answer: Largest is the Panache from CSUSA and the smallest is any of several kits that use the mini refill......necklace pen, key chain pen, refrigerator pen and maybe a few others.

Note: There were only 31 entries for this contest which surprised me as I thought lots of people would take a shot at this one and there were a large variety of answers. A couple of folks only answered part of the question and one person submitted a blank answer. And as another trivial note, I had to go thru 14 entries before both winners were selected!! I'm sure there will be a little grumbling about the preferred answer; but let me say that the Panache is the only kit I know of for which the vendor recommends a 1" blank.

The winners of the day 8 contest are:

kirkfranks

and

Draken

And the prizes are:

Ink supplies donated by Penworks

Pen Blanks donated by ed4copies

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: Both winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and date of the contest you won, in the title block of the email, please. (Example: Jan 8 Trivia)
2. Your mailing address and
3. Your prize preference. (If you both select the same prize, Andrew will flip a coin to determine who gets what.
4. Phone number.(New requirement per Andrew as FedEx requires it for packages they carry.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of this forum. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

Top Bottom