Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flcad2000

of "Turner's Disease". I read news article on MSNBC,

"Battle of Gettysburg 'witness tree' falls in storm
Damaged locust tree stood right side of Union lines, heart of battlefield"

and WHAT is the first thing I think OF?

"I wonder what they are going to do with the wood and how could I get some?"

That's bad, very bad.

So, how many of the rest of you have similar thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

That a boy, Tom. That's what we're talking about!! Remember when they cut down the tree outside the Oval Office? The first thing we thought about ... was pens!!

bitshird

of "Turner's Disease". I read news article on MSNBC,

"Battle of Gettysburg 'witness tree' falls in storm
Damaged locust tree stood right side of Union lines, heart of battlefield"

and WHAT is the first thing I think OF?

"I wonder what they are going to do with the wood and how could I get some?"

That's bad, very bad.

So, how many of the rest of you have similar thoughts?

Well, have you found a way yet???

PaulDoug

It's not just trees, everything I look at anymore I'm wondering if there is a way to make a nice pen out of it! Why, I saw a beautiful woman walking by the other day and I wasn't thinking what I use to think, I was thinking that wood on her purse sure would make a neat pen....

ldb2000

When I bought our Christmas tree last year I picked a tree with a strange twist in the trunk . When the wife asked why i picked a crooked tree I stammered for a bit and said it might have some nice curl or at least some nice grain patterns in the twist .... she gave me THE LOOK then shook her head and walked away ....it's a shame I was really hoping for something nice but no luck :frown:

Armacielli

Last year, my mother found out about a family down the street that had a tree fall on their house during a storm. They then told me that they lost quite a bit and they could use our help. Then she made the mistake of asking what I was thinking to which I inquisitively and casually answered, "What kinda tree?"

flcad2000

It's not just trees, everything I look at anymore I'm wondering if there is a way to make a nice pen out of it! Why, I saw a beautiful woman walking by the other day and I wasn't thinking what I use to think, I was thinking that wood on her purse sure would make a neat pen....

UMMMM Tom? Now you have gone too far over the edge. :wink:

Wait a minute, Doc. I didn't say that.

altaciii

Hello, my name is Alex and I have an addiction..... It makes me feel great that you guys and gals have the same problem I do. Everywhere I look I see pen blanks. WHAT IS IT, WHAT DO I HAVE..... I CAN'T STOP IT!!!!!!

underdog

Heh heh... I now not only have a chainsaw, I have a truck to haul wood in. I can feed this addiction with impunity...

Well. Until my wife finds out I brought another piece of wood home. Then I have to get rid of one, or turn one.

Daniel

I saw a beautiful woman walking by the other day and I wasn't thinking what I use to think, I was thinking that wood on her purse sure would make a neat pen

That has got to be the worst symptom of wood turners disease I have ever heard.
I'm sure you are incurable and starting to wonder if it might even be fatal.
Probably only by falling from the tree you are trying to swipe the burl from. or getting shot by the neighbor for sneaking around in there back yard at night.

I think my worst moment was when My wife and I where waiting on a nice looking oak bench, after a few minutes I simply said out loud "688" she looked at me with a strange expression and said "What was that about?" I said "that's the number of pen blanks I could get out of this bench". She hasn't allowed me to go to the shop without knowing what I am taking there since.

Fred

Dudes, and Dudettes, you know you got it bad when you actually keep the sharpened chainsaw and bar oil and two cycle gas in the car at all times. I also have chains for pulling, a tarp to protect the trunk, actually to cover up the loot, gloves, spare saw blade or two, etc., just because you never know when that in some stranger's pasture burl will pass your way or something like this historical tree falls.

Now, how many of us believe we can beat flcad2000 all the way up north and get some of this tree? Heck, he lives in Boynton Beach, Florida so some of us already are a bit ahead of the game .... ROAD TRIP everyone! Anyone?? :rolleyes:

Maybe a well placed telephone call to the National Parks Service would be a well made suggestion. At last notice I do believe folks toting a running chainsaw are really frowned upon inside any National Park.

Now, just where is this tree located exactly? Anyone with GPS location please advise by PM. Just can't be too careful ya know! :eek:

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
OK !!! Relax everybody !! Old CHUCK has stewed over this long enough . For what it's worth , I have sprung into action and contacted a couple of very reliable sources . Well , we'll see how reliable anyway . Don't hold your breath though . But at least it's an effort !

GBusardo

I am quite sure everyone ehre in the forum has had those same thoughts. A fella at work is going to Yankee Stadium to see if he can buy a part of a wooden beam, after they knock it down. He asked me if i would make a pen out of it for him. Of course! I replied, only payment I want is a piece of that wood :)

avbill

Tom if you find a way to get some blank let us know!I just ordered several blanks of a horse chestnut tree that George Washington planted. So the "Battle of Gettysburg 'witness tree' falls into the same category. --My sons are both historians.

Hosspen

Yep, I'm guilty of the same thoughts. Sometimes I have to stop and ask myself, "Is this wooden object worth more as what it is or as a few nice ink pens?".

railrider1920

That tree would be nice to have a piece of.

I bought a small bamboo cutting board while out with my wife one day. I tried to sneak it past her but didn't. "What do you need that for?" she asked. I told her and she also just shook her head. I found a wooden tennis racket in goodwill. I was wondering what type of wood it was made out of and how easy it would be to cut it up.

dntrost

Yeah this is a cult!

OK I thought I was bad. Some of you guys need to take a rest go outside smell the roses (don't cut and cast them)
Why is this hobby so damn addictive. My friends all run when I show up as they know I am going to show them another damn pen. I don't sell mine so not sure what happens when I run out of money! I guess I will someday sell them but for now I guess I will keep my eye open for fallen trees, cutting boards, cool stuff on IAP that I must have, and last but not least purses.

OK that is too far I see a nice lady it is still not her purse I check out so I guess I am OK and will not need to be going to any meeting any time soon for my addiction. :embarrassed:

Top Bottom