How We Select The trivia Winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I think I posted something like this last year; but it is worth repeating since we have a lot of new participants.​

With the need to process about 100 contest entries every day, there is not really time to manually make up a paper slip and stick it in a ball cap for every one of the entries. So we do it electronically.

The total number of entries is counted and that number is plugged into a random number generator (RNG). We ask the RNG to spit out a series of RNs and use those to select the winners. We take the first RN and look at the equivalent contest entry. If it is a correct and valid entry, it is a winner. If it is not, we take the next RN and look at its equivalent entry. The process is repeated until we have two winners.

Normally the percentage of entries with correct answers is very high and we only have to actually look at a very few entries. And even on a day like yesterday where there were only 33% correct entries, you only need to look at 6 or 7 entries (usually) to find two winners.

The use of the RNG saves the TriviaMeisters a lot of time in processing the entries which is a good thing as it allows us to have extra time to fully respond to all of the highly intelligent and thought-provoking messages posted on the contest thread. Oh, wait. I don't think I have ever seen one of those?? For me, at least, the time saved allows me more time to drink beer and chase women. Although I'm not sure what I would do if I actually caught one??:wink:

For anyone who is interested or might actually need a RNG, here is the link to the one we use. It is quick and simple and even I figured out how to use it without any help.........well, at least, not much help.:frown:

http://www.publishpoint.com/random_numbers.cfm?RequestTimeout=999999

Anybody got a cold BUD??:cool:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anybody got a cold -- BUD??:cool:

Didn't know you went by "BUD"

Well, actually, Dawn does have a cold, since you asked.

Top Bottom