Help me choose blanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Prevett

I've just ordered 10 different kits and I need help deciding which blanks would best show off the hardware. I've got 5 silver and 4 gold and 1 satin gold. Only 2 could be considered 'slimline', the rest are various larger styles. Ballpoints and rollerballs only.

I'd like to buy two of the same wood (plus maybe an extra), so I need your top 5 wood selections. Light wood with gold or dark? Plain or burly with an American Flat Top?

Help me choose!!!

thanks,

rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Personally i like the contrast of a dark wood with teh chroem kits.
so Kingwood, some cocobolos, even ebony would work for them. as for the gold kits, I prefer to stay in the mid tones, just the darker side of tan. light woods with gold do not do alot for me. the olivewoods, even zebrawood for the gold. I would also save the best figured or grained blanks for the larger pen styles and relly more on finish or even inlay, bands and form for the slimlines.

C_Ludwigsen

The 3 most popular woods people have asked from me are (1) Birdseye Maple, (2) Tulipwood, and (3) Rosewood. All but 1 of these have been in gold finished kits.

Hope that helps.

ilikewood

IMHO The woods that go best with platinum/nickel/silver are darker or high figure woods. Light woods just don't seem to contrast well with the lighter metals.

Gold is a good all around for almost anywood.

I find that the satin gold seems to go best with colored woods like redheart, bloodwood, pink ivory, etc.

I personally have virtually no requests for maple or common hardwoods. People want the high figured/burl stuff the most where I am from. I usually make the larger pens with super high figure wood as they sell the best. For slimlines, a wood with lots of stripes (eg. zebrawood, cocobolo) seem to sell best for me.

C_Ludwigsen

Please allow me to clarify [;)] (don't worry, I'm not upset or anything [:p])

I didn't say these were MY favorites... They are what the folks I've made pens for (my limited number to date) wanted.

So...

1) I don't prefer the birdseye maple as it is too light for the gold. But the eyes look very nice.

2) The tulipwood I really like. It is nice but somewhat pricey compared to other woods.

3) The rosewood is a pretty color but a little plain in the contrast category for my taste.

But, the old saying about the customer being right.......

pecartus

Chuck,

I has started using black chrome kits from CSUSA and Black Ti from Berea on my lighter woods, I did a birdseye maple on a black chrome kit a couple weeks ago for a friend. It turned out really well. I only use gold kits on medium to dark tan wood such as Olive Wood. And platinum on dark or deep colored woods such as bloodwood, the rosewood might look good with a chrome or platinum kit. I have tulipwood blanks and have used them on black chrome kits. I did do a Carob blank on a platinum kit and burned the ends of the finished blanks to darken the edges, came out very nice. Carob is real light pink in color with no distintive grain pattern. The black enamel kits PSI sells are not glossy enough for me and in my opinion dulls the finished look of the pen, but some people like that. I guess thats what make us individuals.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom