Help! I messed up!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

Hey everyone, so I need some help.

Last night I was assembling a Rhodium & Gold Jr. Gent II fountain when the plastic threads came loose in the CB, thinking of a solution I decided to use a little thin CA. Well me being THE HUGE dummy :mad::mad: I am didn't let the glue dry before test fitting and now I have the damned glue all over the nib holder, the threads on the nib holder and the threads in the CB. I really would hate to throw out this kit...so anyone know how to remove the CA without destroying the finish?

BTW we need a oops "I Eff'ed up & someone help me" in the forum section...I had no clue where to put this.

Thanks for your help! If you do not hear from me, it is only because I am heading to NYC to visit family. I will be back tomorrow!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Stop using CA for tasks like that. Use something that can be removed easily....epoxy or red or blue locktite. Now, for removing the CA...soak the part in acetone and hope it doesn't dissolve any of the non metal parts.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hey everyone, so I need some help.

Last night I was assembling a Rhodium & Gold Jr. Gent II fountain when the plastic threads came loose in the CB, thinking of a solution I decided to use a little thin CA. Well me being THE HUGE dummy :mad::mad: I am didn't let the glue dry before test fitting and now I have the damned glue all over the nib holder, the threads on the nib holder and the threads in the CB. I really would hate to throw out this kit...so anyone know how to remove the CA without destroying the finish?

BTW we need a oops "I Eff'ed up & someone help me" in the forum section...I had no clue where to put this.

Thanks for your help! If you do not hear from me, it is only because I am heading to NYC to visit family. I will be back tomorrow!

RAdams

Banned
if the glue is on the plastic section of the nib holder, then that part is trash. The metal section the acetone bath should work, but the plastic nib holder will not live through a bath in acetone. I suspect the same goes for the threaded sections made out of plastic for this kit.

If it were my pen, I would clean it up best i could and force myself to carry it as a reminder of what NOT to do!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jskeen

In my experience, acetone will dissolve CA pretty quickly, IE; you don't have to soak it, just wet a paper towel and wipe the parts, one swipe, then refold to a fresh spot. It will probably come clean easily, plastic and all. Just be careful not to get it on the blanks. A qtip works pretty well to get inside stuff too. again, one swipe per end though.

Chief Hill

Acetone is the best as said above. But please let us know how it works. If Acetone does not work I would use a 40 Oz hammer. Becasue I would be so POed.....

PenMan1

An hour soak in denatured alcohol and then a quick shot with the heat gun on medium to low might just do the tirck without destroying the plastic "innards". DAMHIKT!

If not, depending on where you got the kit, some vendors keep a small amount of parts available for sale, so then you can use the acetone to break the glue bond and just replace the plastic parts and refinish.

Last edited:

witz1976

Thanks to all for the help. I got home late last night and got work today...I will be trying some of the methods and will let you know how I make out.

Top Bottom