Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Product Review: Harbor Freight Lathe 34706
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34706

See attached picture at bottom of post

Reason for buying: I was looking for a 'beginner lathe' that I could grow into. A large percentage of folks at another forum highly recommended this lathe to me, and I'm very glad they did. It's been a very good lathe, and I have not outgrown it yet. It can do bowls and baseball bats with ease, as well as smaller turnings with no problems. It is also quite convenient to hold your tools on the long ways while you're turning! :)

Musings:
I bought this lathe when I just started turning, and it's been an absolute workhorse. I use it very often, and it has never hiccupped yet. (knock wood). I was leery about buying from Harbor Freight, and the model that they had on display didn't sell the deal either (it was in pretty rough shape), but I am truly glad that I ended up buying it. The one I got was in MUCH better condition than the tool they had on display in the store.

Some people refuse to buy any power tools from HF. While that is sometimes a sound policy, I can assure you that this lathe is one of the few diamonds in the rough. That being said, you can buy the 34706 for about a third what the Jet will cost, and you will have a nearly identical machine.

Product Info:
The lathe is made by Central Machinery, and imported by Harbor Freight. I have compared this lathe to the Jet lathe (model JWL-1236) and it is an exact doppelganger. They appear to be identical in nearly every way, except for the colour. The box said "Taiwan" as the country of manufacture.

Assembly was very easy, as the headstock and tailstock were already attached to the cast iron ways. The ways themselves were well machined, and showed very few tool marks. All the exposed cast iron was coated in a layer of thick oil, which came off quite easily with a bit of kerosene.

After buffing some wax onto the ways, and attaching the ways to the stand, I checked the alignment. The spur centre and revolving centre both lined up perfectly out of the box. No adjustment has since been needed.

The tailstock ejects the revolving centre nicely, without needing to use the knock-out-bar. The revolving centre is not 60 degrees, so a separate one is needed for penturning. It does perform adequately for between-centre turning.

The headstock outboard side is threaded for attaching a handwheel. It's an odd threading, so you'll have to buy one from Jet. I haven't bothered to purchase one, but Jet tools sells one for their lathe, which fits the HF model perfectly. This also tells me that the tools are identical but for the paint job. The threading for this heastock bore is a very odd one – ½" 12 TPI Left-hand thread. It'll be a lot easier to buy the handwheel from Jet than try and make or find that threading yourself.

The stand is quite sturdy when turning inboard, but if you're planning on turning large, out-of-round blanks, buy a piece of plywood to put on the lower bracket of the lathe stand and fill it up with sandbags or other weights.

The lathe uses a Reeves-type drive to change speeds. This means that it has a sort of flywheel that moves in and out to change the effective size of the pulley. This makes the lathe run faster or slower. It is best to move the speed control to slow each time you turn it off so that you don't end up with a large, out of round blank spinning very fast at unstable speeds. You cannot change a Reeves-drive speed control with the lathe off.

Sound: very quiet.

Specifications:
· 12" swing, so 24" capacity when turning between centres.
· The headstock pivots and locks into position in a few different positions to allow larger turnings than will fit between centres
· Length between centres: 33-3/8 – plenty for doing peppermills, bowls, or any number of turnings (including baseball bats)
· Variable Speed Reeves drive – 600-2400rpm
· ¾ HP TEFC motor

Strong Points:
· Solid, well-built lathe at a very affordable price
· Able to turn outboard to accommodate platters and larger turnings
· Good fit and finish out of the box
· Excellent features for a starter lathe
· Long bed enables turning more items than a mini-lathe
· Variable speed
· Standard 1x8 spindle, and uses easy-to-find MT2 accessories

Weak point: the slow speed of the lathe is 600rpm. This isn't a concern if you're turning between centres, but if you pivot the headstock to allow you to turn large diameter blanks, the speed can be a teensy bit fast.

Weak point: The extension arm for using the tool rest on outboard turnings is flimsy. The extension arm should be removed unless it is absolutely necessary. I've never had to use it when turning between centres.

Other notes:
One thing to keep in mind is that you will want to get a spare belt. The one that came with my lathe was not of the greatest quality, and was the source of the 'slipping' that I noticed when I put it into high gear. That problem was completely solved with a new belt.

Napa has the perfect belt, and it stands up well to the abuse that a Reeves-drive will put on it: Napa Belt Replacement number: 3L240W

Get rid of the flimsy spindle wrenches and buy a decent 1" wrench. The flimsy ones tend to flare outward and round over the spindle eventually. If you're using a chuck, you may have to grind down one of the wrenches slightly to get them both to fit width-wise, but it makes it very very easy to tighten and loosen a chuck with the bigger wrenches.

Cost: Currently listed for $279.99. I got mine on sale for $199, and had a 20 percent off coupon that made this lathe a no-brainer.

Final Thought: There's no better lathe on the market for the price. You get all the capacity of a larger lathe, and it costs less than the Jet Mini.

Attachments

• 34706.jpg
    34706.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 3,904
Last edited:

hughbie

i'll have to keep an eye open for a sale like that to maybe get one for myself......my table top does ok....but would like more

your write up was very thorough....thanks

JimB

Andrew - a few questions for you.

You say it has a 12" swing and 24" capacity. Isn't a 12"swing = 12" capacity? Or are you referring to outboard turning?

Have you done much outboard turning and how big a blank have you done (safely)?

How long have you owned yours?

Thanks for doing the great write-up. I've looked at this in HF becuase I would like something to do bigger bowls than my 1014 but have the same experience as you. Looking at the floor model is a real turn off and I don't want to spend the money now for something else.

Last edited:

marcruby

I don't know the lathe at all, but I'd like to know if the similarity to the Jet is skin deep or if it extends to the motor, controls, bearings, belts, etc.

Marc

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Yep, sorry Jim - 12" inboard capacity...outboard capacity is much more, depending on how well-balanced your blank is.

I have turned a platter on it in the past...perhaps about 16"? There are some guys at the other forum who turn really large things with their lathes, but it's not a really heavy-duty top-of-the-line lathe, so you're limited as to how big you can actually go - it's not a Powermatic or a Oneway after all...

As far as the innards, Marc, I'm not sure...looks the same to me with the covers off, but I haven't ever replaced the bearings on mine, so I don't know if they're the same or not. I know for a fact that a few people have ordered parts from Jet rather than HF, as their customer service is much better....I think they're at the very least made from the same plans!

Anything else, you'll have to ask an engineer! :)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Not sure...either marketing, or some other difference...I don't see how the same guts can provide two different sets of speeds, unless it's just how they measure the speed, or some marketing device?

Although I WOULD think that the motor would likely be one of the things that would be different...

rinehardj

I bought this same lathe as a combined birthday/Xmas present for myself. I had had my eye on it for a long time. My wife has been getting on me for a while to upgrade myself, so that I could learn to make her a bowl. I had pretty much stuck to pens on my minilathe until then. I couldn't justify to myself buying an expensive lathe, with other expenses on my plate. I also didn't know if this Harbor Freight lathe would be quality or not. But when I saw this lathe on clearance for $169.99, I cracked. I told myself that even if it turned out not to be quality, I could afford the risk for this price. I called my wife from the store and told her I was giving in. Happily, I have been very pleased with it. I made a nutcracker based on an article in one of the Woodtuning Design issues. This was my first non-pen turning, and I was very happy with it, and I had a great time making it. I don't have nearly the experience of many of the turners in this forum, so I may not recognize this lathe's shortcomings, but for what I can do and want to do, it exceeds my expectations, and I can't wait to make that bowl for my wife.

Just my .02 worth but I found a parts breakdown on these 2 lathes and as far as I see they are the same...Even the parts list numbers are the same as is the weight minus 1 lb for the jet. So I think for my money when I buy a new lathe I will buy the HF and save a couple hundred bucks....This is coming from an amature so take it with a grain of salt if you want cuz it wont hurt my feelings. and i can posibaly learn something new

marcruby

This just came up on another thread, so I thought I'd add some background here...

Central Machinery isn't a manufacturer, but a name under which HF sells machinery they buy in the market. They buy odd lots, machinery that has failed to pass tougher inspections, and overruns. So sometimes what you get is a great deal, and sometimes it's a nightmare waiting to happen. This looks like it might be one of the good times.

Possibly one of the biggest drawbacks isn't the risk of a bad machine, but the fact that, once HF has sold the last of a particular purchase, it may disappear from their catalog and eventually from any real support. Of course, you don't have to tell Jet that the machine you're ordering parts for is really from HF...

Marc

Last edited:

baker4456

I have been using my HF lathe for about 8 years. I have put it to its max capacity. It has seved me well. The only problem I have is large rough stock may rub the motor a little bit if you are not using a face plate and using the spur. I like the smooth speed transition. I will be bying another when this one wears out.

sbell111

... Possibly one of the biggest drawbacks isn't the risk of a bad machine, but the fact that, once HF has sold the last of a particular purchase, it may disappear from their catalog and eventually from any real support. Of course, you don't have to tell Jet that the machine you're ordering parts for is really from HF...
That's pretty much the beauty of buying HF's 34706 or 98676 lathes. If you ever need parts in the future, you can easily buy parts that would fit the Jet JWL-1236 or Grizzly G0584. You need not worry about future support from HF.

S

spiritwoodturner

Boy, for the price that's hard to go wrong. Who cares how it compares to the Jet?! For that dough, you could buy a second lathe for a dedicated buffing machine! If I didn't already have a Jet mini on a stand with a Beall buff, that's what I'd do. You mean to say you paid 160 bucks for that? I think I paid 230 originally for my Jet mini, and 60 bucks for the stand to get it to a comparable height.

I have a big Powermatic as my primary, but wow, that's cheap. No brainer? That's an understatement, Andrew.

Also, one of the most complete and comprehensive reviews I've ever read here.

Dale

Bubba

Question from a real newbie. I am planning to pick up this lathe.

You mentioned:

The tailstock ejects the revolving centre nicely, without needing to use the knock-out-bar. The revolving centre is not 60 degrees, so a separate one is needed for penturning. It does perform adequately for between-centre turning.

Can you recommend a separate revolving centre? Thanks,

themartaman

My turn.I started 40 years ago with a 40 dollar sears lathe. Then bought the one with tubular ways. Next one is an english lathe with 48 inches between centers. Tyme Avon. Very nice. My baby is a Nova 3000 with vfd drive I assembled. Last year I bought a Turncrafter Pro variable speed on ebay for 125. Also have a shopsmith which I only use for horizontal drilling and disc sanding. One of my good friends Nick Cook who some of you may know has several powermatics and several Jet midi's for taking to places for teaching turning. Check out his site. He is a founding member of AAW.

sbell111

You mentioned:

I picked up my live center from Grizzly for something like twelve bucks.

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader

You mentioned:

Bubba,

While you are at HF picking up your lathe, get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38573

$20 for their live center

And get one of these too:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42340

$7 for their drill chuck

I have both and they work pretty darn good for their price.

Now don't get me wrong, if someone where to drop the Nova Live Center system in my lap... :biggrin:

-DD

Rifleman1776

It strongly resembles the Grizzly G1067Z. I had one for six years, used daily and found it to be a yeoman machine, especially for the price. It did have limitations. But, at the $300.00 price I originally paid for it, was a great value.

spiritwoodturner said, in part, "for the price that's hard to go wrong"
Strongly disagree. If something, in this case a tool, doesn't perform it is a waste no matter what the price.

I have seen HF tools in their stores and they seem to be lacking features and are crudely made and assembled compared to others. Even if this is a knock-off of the G1067Z, I would have to see and use to know if it compares in performance and quality.
But, I'm glad you like yours.

S

spiritwoodturner

spiritwoodturner said, in part, "for the price that's hard to go wrong"
Strongly disagree. If something, in this case a tool, doesn't perform it is a waste no matter what the price.

I have seen HF tools in their stores and they seem to be lacking features and are crudely made and assembled compared to others. Even if this is a knock-off of the G1067Z, I would have to see and use to know if it compares in performance and quality.

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking in generalities, I was talking about this machine. I have a Powermatic, I wouldn't want this for my primary lathe, but for 160 bucks (if I did my math right) I could see buying this, throwing a Beall buff system on it and leaving it in the corner just like that. But if I was starting out, it's a decent alternative to a Jet mini. By the sounds of people resonding, it may be a Jet anyway, but I would also go look at it and evaluate it for myself.

But for that kind of money you have to know you're not getting a Oneway or a Powermatic. If I was starting out, I wouldn't care either. It's a darn good option to get me started making something, anything. It will make wood go round. If it lasted 2 years, life is good. My guess is it will last more than 2 years. Will the alignment be off a few thousandths? Probably. So might the Jet mini.

But, to be sure, Harbor Freight definitely does have some real crap in there. Thing is, when it costs 15 cents vs. 5 bucks many times I don't give a rip either. Buy 5 of 'em, it's still cheaper. Their Ultrasonic heated cleaner is a great example. HALF what a comparable machine on Amazon would cost (DAMHIKT), made next door to the plant in Chingwan that made the Amazon one, and it's bigger. Buy 2, you still save money. Buy 3 of the transfer punch sets vs. 1 at Penn State. Same thing, you still save money. I bought a trailer at HF for my properties, I could not have touched it USED for 3 times the dough. Had it 2 years now, and it still holds my lawn mower.

Just my plug nickel!

Dale

Rifleman1776

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking in generalities, I was talking about this machine. I have a Powermatic, I wouldn't want this for my primary lathe, but for 160 bucks (if I did my math right) I could see buying this, throwing a Beall buff system on it and leaving it in the corner just like that. But if I was starting out, it's a decent alternative to a Jet mini. By the sounds of people resonding, it may be a Jet anyway, but I would also go look at it and evaluate it for myself.

But for that kind of money you have to know you're not getting a Oneway or a Powermatic. If I was starting out, I wouldn't care either. It's a darn good option to get me started making something, anything. It will make wood go round. If it lasted 2 years, life is good. My guess is it will last more than 2 years. Will the alignment be off a few thousandths? Probably. So might the Jet mini.

But, to be sure, Harbor Freight definitely does have some real crap in there. Thing is, when it costs 15 cents vs. 5 bucks many times I don't give a rip either. Buy 5 of 'em, it's still cheaper. Their Ultrasonic heated cleaner is a great example. HALF what a comparable machine on Amazon would cost (DAMHIKT), made next door to the plant in Chingwan that made the Amazon one, and it's bigger. Buy 2, you still save money. Buy 3 of the transfer punch sets vs. 1 at Penn State. Same thing, you still save money. I bought a trailer at HF for my properties, I could not have touched it USED for 3 times the dough. Had it 2 years now, and it still holds my lawn mower.

Just my plug nickel!

Dale

Dale, I am agreeing with you. I said "IF" it doesn't perform it's a waste regardless of price. If it is accurate and works somewhat, probably a good value.
As for who makes what, that is a never ending quest for facts. Several companies may use a basic chassis or design but specify different levels of QC and features. That is why the buyer must shop carefully.

sbell111

... Even if this is a knock-off of the G1067Z, I would have to see and use to know if it compares in performance and quality.
I thought that the very reason that we had the Product Review forum is so that we could get an idea of how good stuff is from people who actually have used it. We are fortunate to have a couple of our own who have used this lathe for some time and can tell us whether it is good.

bobo383

Thank you for this excellent review! I had not thought of getting JWL-1236 parts from Jet, and I appreciate you pointing that out. Now I can probably fix the soft cast metal tool-rest lockdown levers and put an outboard handwheel on the headstock, resolving two of the three real issues I've had with this piece. The third issue is that larger logs won't clear the motor unless I space them way out away from the faceplate. Not a show stopper, but still a pain.

I found this lathe used on Craigslist for $130 a few months back, and the previous owner threw in several chisels with it. It is not a super-stable accurate piece, but I didn't expect it to be and I am too cheap to spend much more on a hobby piece that doesn't get used every day. I've turned a few pens and one bowl on it so far, and found it to be a very decent using lathe. I especially like the speed adjustment lever that works while the motor is moving, compared to changing belt positions on my last wood lathe (Jet 1014, a fine piece in its own right) or stopping to change gears on my metal lathes.

Overall I'm very happy with the HF 34706 considering what I paid. My personal skill level and my tendency to wait too late to sharpen my chisels are a far bigger influences on my results than any quality issues this lathe may present.

Thanks again for the excellent review that turned me on to this great site.

I got one during a managers sale and had a 20% coupon. Bought it at same time as their 14" bandsaw and floor standing drill press and paid about $135 for the lathe. We were beginning turners and weren't completely sure how much we would get into it, so I limited $ initially. The lathe was ok, not great. Lots of problems with handles breaking and bolt heads rounding. Now I have to hand start it, get it spinning in the right direction. All in all it is still ok. Use it for kids projects and buffing since I got my Jet 16-42.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I got one during a managers sale and had a 20% coupon. Bought it at same time as their 14" bandsaw and floor standing drill press and paid about $135 for the lathe. We were beginning turners and weren't completely sure how much we would get into it, so I limited $ initially. The lathe was ok, not great. Lots of problems with handles breaking and bolt heads rounding. Now I have to hand start it, get it spinning in the right direction. All in all it is still ok. Use it for kids projects and buffing since I got my Jet 16-42.

If you have to hand start it, isn't htat just a simple capacitor? Talk to an electrician and get that fixed! :)

RHossack

Daniel

I have been seriously thinking about replacing my big lathe recently. I will keep this one on my list. Thanks for the write up very well done. I also believe I have a very good bead on the compromises and other reasons HF can sell the same machines at such lower prices. But I know for a fact that is exactly what they are doing in many cases. I would actually be surprised to find out that this is not the same machine as the jet, with some lower quality parts like belts and switches.

Daniel

Well based upon this review and just a bit of homework I bought the Harbor Freight lathe.
I now have two lathes that are lower cost versions (except thsi one is drastically lower price) of name brand lathes.

First this one. looking at the owners manual for the HF lathe, and finding the manual for the Jet 1236 online. they are the exact same manual except the schematic at the back of the HF manual looks like they laid tracing paper over the Jet schematic and traced it.

I also own a 7X12 Mini lathe that is a similar type deal. I know much more about that lathe and how it can be sold at such a lower price.

1. not as much finish and polish is put into the lathe. thsi does nto effect the preformance. beads and ways are still machined accurately but they will still show more tool marks etc. with work these can be removed but it is not necessary.

2. on the metal lathe there ais a lot of fine tuning that needs to be done, some parts actually need to be lapped to get to 1/1000" accuracies that are desired in a metal lathe. this woudl nto be a concern with a wood lathe.

3. the electronics and motor are not as high quality. I bought my metal lathe knwing I would need to replace some of the electronics in it. it did nto take long and I had sources for the higher quality parts, I have had no problem since.

The idea is that you can buy the basic framework of the top priced machine and then with a bit more expense and some work build it up to the quality of the higher priced versions.

massmanute

This just came up on another thread, so I thought I'd add some background here...

Central Machinery isn't a manufacturer, but a name under which HF sells machinery they buy in the market. They buy odd lots, machinery that has failed to pass tougher inspections, and overruns. So sometimes what you get is a great deal, and sometimes it's a nightmare waiting to happen. This looks like it might be one of the good times.

Marc

Where do you get the information that Harbor Freight buys and then resells odd lots of machinery? A number of tools have been in their catalog for many years. At least for those items there is no way they could make money by buying them as odd lots and then holding them in inventory for many years before they are sold.

Geophyrd

So I also bought this lathe

Has anyone had any luck getting chucks on and off of it? I can't seem to find a spindle lock and when I put my Nova chuck on it, I only have one place to use the wrench on. It will turn the spindle, and the chuck but won't remove it...any advice?

Please help, today was going to be a turning day!

duncsuss

Has anyone had any luck getting chucks on and off of it? I can't seem to find a spindle lock and when I put my Nova chuck on it, I only have one place to use the wrench on. It will turn the spindle, and the chuck but won't remove it...any advice?

Never had a problem getting my PennState "utility" chuck off. There's a 1" hexagonal section machined on the spindle at the headstock end. I just put one of the slim wrenches that came with the lathe on that, and turn it down till it rests on the ways. That's locked the spindle.

Then I'd use one of the chuck tommy bars to unwind the chuck from the spindle.

If your chuck has a recess in the back end and screws onto the spindle so far that it completely blocks access to this hex area, I can see you'd have a problem ...

(If this is the case, it's probably wisest to buy a 1"x8 nut and screw it onto the spindle before putting the chuck on there. A bit late for this situation, but for next time.)

Hope you're able to get that thing off.

Oh -- as an emergency work-around ... maybe consider buying one of the "Stebb centers" that's designed to be held in chuck jaws. Woodcraft and PennState both sell them, probably others too.

sbwertz

I've had mine for about a year and really like it. It has not given me any problems at all. I still turn my pens on my little 10" Excelsior, and have the big one set up for drilling when I am doing pen turning. I do bowls on the HF. It has proven to be a sound investment. I got it on sale and was able to use a 20 percent coupon on it as well, so I got it for about $179.

sbell111

Assuming you get the chuck off, next time put a non-metal washer between the headstock and the chuck and you will be able to pretty easily spin it off when you need to. You can cut one out of a plastic milk jug.

monophoto

Assuming you get the chuck off, next time put a non-metal washer between the headstock and the chuck and you will be able to pretty easily spin it off when you need to. You can cut one out of a plastic milk jug.

Be careful here - milk jugs (also the tops of coffee cans and the plastic containers that software CDs come in) don't necessarily have uniform thickness, so the washers that you make this way may introduce runout.

DAMHIKT

You can purchase plastic washers at the hardware store or from turning suppliers that are more nearly flat.

sbell111

Be careful here - milk jugs (also the tops of coffee cans and the plastic containers that software CDs come in) don't necessarily have uniform thickness, so the washers that you make this way may introduce runout.

DAMHIKT

You can purchase plastic washers at the hardware store or from turning suppliers that are more nearly flat.
Interesting. Mine works great and I know that other turners have done the same without issue. Therefore, my advice is to cut from a milk jug and see if it creates a problem. If it does, cut another one and test again (or buy one).

Top Bottom