Grinder Wheels Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stolicky

I know there have been many discussions about grinder wheels, and I have searched many of them, and on different forums....

The quick question is - Does anyone know what the equivalent hardness level is for the 120 grit wheel that comes on the WC slow speed grinder? i.e. I, K, something else?

Here is my situation...
Like many of us, I have accumulated over time many means of sharpening my tools. I currently have a couple of setups:
- A delta variable speed grinder - standard rough gray wheel, and a Norton 3X 80 grit, K hardness wheel (with PSI sharpening jigs).
- A WC slow speed grinder with the 60 grit and 120 grit that came with it (w/ wolverine jigs).
- I also have a Tormek (bought it pre-owned from an IAP member).

By the way - I think both the WC grinder and wolverine jigs are much nicer than the delta grinder and PSI jigs. The Tormek is great but has its relative strengths and weaknesses. Sorry for the tangent....

Here is the deal....
I recently had a bit of a snafu and took a chunk out of the 120 grit wheel on the WC grinder. Lesson learned, pay attention and don't stand on slippery floors when you have dragged in snow with you! Anyway, I don't trust the wheel any more and would lose a lot of the wheel if I tried to true it, if even possible. So, I am going to replace it. I have found that I like the hardness (softness?) of this wheel, and the relative grit. The Norton 3X 80 grit K is a nice wheel, but I find (w/ my current level of ability) it cuts the metal a little too fast for my liking. I was originally leaning towards one of the 150 Norton AO wheels, but decided it might be a little too extreme for the metal we use.

So, I know that some people think the Norton 3X I hardness wheels are a bit soft, but I am wondering if they are anything like what the WC grinder comes with. If that is the case, there is both a 100 grit and a 120 grit option.

Experience with these wheels and related comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wildman

Have no experience with those 100, 120 white grit wheels. Once you pull the damaged wheel off the grinder look at label for information you need.

White & pink wheels do a good job sharpening M2 and most PM steel. So think price may be more of a concern than hardness. Some manufacturer and vendor's literature says their pink wheels better than white wheels. I have not found that to be true. Both will sharpen your tools about the same.

Blue I & K wheels a little harder than pink or white wheels. and tad more expensive, but should wear better than pink or white wheels.

Never used Norton SG grinding wheels although Gerry Glaser recommended them highly.

How and how often you sharpen your tools will dictate wear on grinding wheels.

Think you need to get a handle on grit. From 80 thru 150 grit is considered fine. You do not really want or need two fine wheels on the grinder at the same time.

I run a medium 46 grit and fine 80 grit blue wheel combination. Lot of folks would like a 60 grit medium wheel and 100, 120, or 150 fine grit wheel. Get what you like.

Seems like the two big players in grinding wheels today is Camel Grinding Wheels USA and Norton. I have used both and say shop the bargains.

Rifleman1776

Suggest you just order a replacement wheel.
The 120 that comes with that WC grinder is a great wheel.
Using the Wolverine, my tools are on the wheel only about 2 to 3 seconds. Wear on both wheel and tools is negligible. Heat build up is not even noticeable.
BTW, you are wise to not use the damaged wheel. Trying it could have disastrous consequences.

Top Bottom